Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

465 H&H Login/Join

<Adirondack Joe>
posted
I was just wondering if any of you guys could direct me to some info on this cartridge? Are there any web sites with case drawings, photos of the cartridge, load info/ballistics, or anything else useful?

------------------
Let the strucken deer go weep
The hart ungalled play
For some must watch while some must sleep
Thus runs the world away
-Hamlet

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just trying to imagine what it is, it might be an older version of the 470 capstick. FYI, that cartridge is a blown-out 375 H&H with a .474 diameter bullet seated in the case mouth. Max OAL is 3.650. It can push a 500 grain bullet at 2350 fps comfortably.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Joe,

Try this link:

http://www.hollandandholland.com/news/0107_cartridges.htm

"The 375H&H propels a 300 grain bullet at a MV of 2500 feet/second, generating a M.E. of 4100 foot pounds. The need is for up to 6000 ft/lbs., but for many this is too large an increase. We therefore sought a 'stepping-stone' of around 5000 ft/lbs. These requirements have been satisfied by adopting a .400 calibre 400 grain bullet at 2350 ft/sec. and a .465 calibre 480 grain bullet at a similar velocity. Most importantly, all three cartridges - having for practical purposes the same bullet trajectories - enable the shooter to take a similar hold or aim-point out to beyond any normal range for hunting big-game: each will mimic the other."

George

------------------
Shoot straight, shoot often, but by all means, use enough gun!

[This message has been edited by GeorgeS (edited 09-11-2001).]

[This message has been edited by GeorgeS (edited 09-11-2001).]

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
JOE, I think what you are looking for is the 500/465 Nitro Express. It was introduced by Holland & Holland in 1907.
The factory load is:
480 gr bullet, 73 grs Cordite, MV= 2150 fps, ME=4930 fpe

Like all the rounds in this class, it was developed to take the place of the 450 bores which were outlawed in India, and the Sudan, in 1905. The 470 NE,475NE 3 1/4", 475#2 NE ,and 476 Westley Richards,are all ecentially the same cartridge, though are not interchable.

The 500/465NE H&H is identicle, in perforence, to the 450 NE 3 1/4" introduced by John Rigby in 1898!

Componants are available to load this round, from HDS, Bertram, and Woodliegh.

------------------
..Mac >>>===(x)===>
DUGABOY DESIGNS
Collector/trader of fine double rifles, and African wildlife art

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
No, Mac. H&H has announce two new rimless magnum cartridges: the .400H&H and .465H&H.

Check the link I posted above.

George

------------------

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
I see what you mean George, sounds good,if you are the kind of guy who likes to shoot those "NEW FANGLED" bolt rifles, but that H&H bunch is stingy with their pictures for illeterates like me! I'd like to see some comparitive pictures, of the cartridges, and rifles!

------------------
..Mac >>>===(x)===>
DUGABOY DESIGNS
Collector/trader of fine double rifles, and African wildlife art

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Once things have quieted down here in NYC, I'll try to go by their store to get more information. They don't carry ammunition, but they should have some photos and data.

George

------------------

one of us
posted Hide Post
I get the impression they are just necking the 375 H&H case up?? If thats the case, I got news for them, it won't fly and we already have the 416 Rem..

Perhaps they are coping the rest with the 404 case blown out and shortened....

I dearly hope its a standard lenth case that will clean up a 10.75x68 chamber, I can't find a caliber that will and keep my old gun original on the outside..So I am just fire forming the headspace out of it before loading and that works fine but its a pain for an old codger who been that route and prefers life a little simpler...

So George, when you talk to them kindly ask them if the above is a possibility..I sure would appreciate it..

do they have an e mail number???

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote