Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

416 for Christmas Login/Join

<Guy>
posted
I do beleive that I have a Winchester Mod 70 Super Express in 416 Rem laying under the Christmas tree from my wife and son! My question is what are the best bullets and powders to use for this caliber for an African safari?

P.S. hopefully that rifle shaped box present isn't a cruel joke!?!?!?

------------------

posted Hide Post
Oh Gary,
Those are the window treatments your wife ordered for you!

George

------------------
Shoot straight, shoot often, but by all means, use enough gun!

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
<Ol' Sarge>
posted
More likely one of your old boxes with an axe handle in it.

------------------
Jesus is the reason for the season.

<Don G>
posted
Guy,

You will get a lot of good advice on this forum. Everybody has their favorite load and bullet.

The Swift A-Frame is a perennial favorite hunting bullet, as is the Nosler Partition.

A cheaper bullet for practice and thin-skinned game (up to bear?) is the 350 gr Speer MagTip.

Barnes and GS Custom make monolithic copper bullets. I have had better luck with the GS Custom bullets.

Don

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try the woodleigh 410 grain soft points, I love woodleigh projectiles!!!!!

I wish I had people who bought me presents like that.

------------------

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Guy>
posted
I have considered the present to be everything under the sun including what has been written here. LOL! I really have went so far as to check all our old rifle boxes and they were all there last night. I even went to the store after work yesterday to find the rifle is gone! My family is having way too much fun with me now. They have gotten under my skin with this and they know it!
Anyway, I'm trying to keep this a serious thread as I will be buying a 416 and going to Africa in the future. For bullets I'm thinking about the 400 gn Nosler/Swift/Woodleigh and the Hornady solid also. But what about powders? RL15, Ball-C, any suggestions?
Thanks again.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I suggest you try the GS Custom FN solids.

http://www.gscustom.co.za

I have found them to be VERY accurate. I also plugged a 500 grainer GS Custom FN into a downed elephant from my 470 capstick as a test and got 6 feet of penetration with no deformation of the bullet. They are my favorite solid.

For heavier game, I like the Woodleigh soft.

For deer and elk, I like the Hawk softs.

I advise against both the Hornday 400 grain RN and the Speer 350 grain softs for elk and smaller game as I have seen them both NOT EXPAND. Appparetnly Hornady and Speer think they can make a premium bullet just by stuffing it with hard lead, but they are wrong about that.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote