New
Find
Notify
Tools

404 solids Login/Join

one of us
Picture of BigB
posted
Who makes solids for the 404 and would you recomend them for elephant.

BigB

Posts: 1401 | Location: Northwest Wyoming | Registered: 13 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hauptjager
posted Hide Post
Woodleigh makes a 400gr FM that comes very well regarded. as for elephant, I could not think of a more "clasic" round to use many an elephant have fallen due to the 404!

Posts: 153 | Location: Hilo, Hawaii | Registered: 07 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
As HJ stated, Woodleigh makes good 350gr & 400gr convetional fmj. Barnes does or used to make a 350gr & 400gr bronze alloy solid, no lead core. I have about 1/2 box of 400gr left & know where I can get another. They are very accurate from my M70 @ 2150fps. I've never shot an elephant but I can't see much of anything stopping one of these.

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
<JOHAN>
posted
Gentlemen

I think GS, Rhino, AWS and Goodnell also makes solids for the 404.

Cheers
/ JOHAN

one of us
Picture of BigB
posted Hide Post
I do not see Barnes listing the 404 on their website so I am assuming they no longer make solids for the 404. I am concerned about the Woodleigh solids as they are lead core and I just had a TB solid rivet on an elephant.

GS is a mono solid, what about Rhino or AWS

BigB

Posts: 1401 | Location: Northwest Wyoming | Registered: 13 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Woodleigh solids have a well earn, good reputation for great performance penetration!

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
BigB,

I have had all but the Speer AGS solids bullets bend or squeeze out lead in the back or something. Woodleigh's are good but not infallible. I don't know about the copper monolithics, but powder capacity may be problem as everyone goes down a step or two it seems when they are used. This is opposed to the other crowd that stresses heavy for caliber bullet weights.

Being on the verge of deciding to mess with a .404 Jeffery in addition to my 416 or whether just make another 416, it is obvious that another 416 is the way to go if only from a bullet availability standpoint.

If you decide on the .404 just use the Woodleigh solids and try not to worry about it. They is what I intend to do if I waffle in that direction.

Posts: 19321 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
BigB, scout yor local gun shops for the Barnes .404. Not much call for them but you may luck into a box or two & I would think 100 would last you a very long time.

one of us
Picture of BigB
posted Hide Post
Fredj338,

Good idea although Chicago area gun shops are pretty lame. Someone had some ASquare solids anyone have an opinion on them.

By the way solids get used up fast when the first one rivets
on an elephant shoulder.

Will,

The PH I hunted with voiced the same opinion that most solids sooner or later will give someone a problem.

BigB

one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Pretty sure the A-Squares are/were the same as the Barnes solids, monolithics (homogeneous brass). A lot of folks have had good luck with them.

Posts: 19321 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
The A-sq is a true solid, even a bit better as it has a slight cutting shoulder. I would buy a box if I found them.
As far as lame GS go, I live in S. Kalif. so let's not talk lame GS, but I fould a place that carrys abit of everything reloading wise. There is still a box of Barnes solids left.

One of Us
Picture of ACRecurve
posted Hide Post
Northfork has made a run of flat nose 380 grain solids for the 404---don't know much more than that at this point.

Posts: 6711 | Location: Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I called a-square...They have what you want. Apparently they have a new process on how they make them. The concentricity and other factors of the bullet is supposed to be unmatched.

one of us
Picture of BigB
posted Hide Post
Moonova,

Thanks I will give them a call.

BigB