THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIG BORE FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Big Bores    My .600 OverKill Project-3rd Update(pics included)

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My .600 OverKill Project-3rd Update(pics included) Login/Join

one of us
posted

Getting closer. It's almost time to make it go BOOM. The stock is rough shaped.

The quarter rib is ready, the bolt handle is straight, and the barrel band sling stud is ready. My 'smith installed two 11oz. mercury recoil reducers in the buttstock. It weighs right around 14lbs. We are thinking of shortening the barrel, it's 28 inches long. We are thinking of 23 or 24, it's a bit barrel heavy right now.

Posts: 273 | Location: Clarks Summit, Pa. | Registered: 17 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Man, looks like your project is shaping up just fine. I take it that you're not going to use a muzzle brake with the rifle weighing in at 14#. Can't wait for the finale to this project.

<mikeh416Rigby>
posted
Looking good my friend. Who did the stock?

one of us
Picture of 470 Mbogo
posted Hide Post
Your project is looking real good. What sort of checkering are you going to have done? Is there any engraving to be done? It's sure fun to watch a project through it's progressions. I'm glad your the one to make it go boom.
Take good care,
Dave

Posts: 1247 | Location: Sechelt B.C. | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike,
A very good friend of mine is the local gunsmith. This is his baby, start to finish. The only problem is he refuses to fire it first.

Posts: 273 | Location: Clarks Summit, Pa. | Registered: 17 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
475Guy,
We are still thinking about trying it without a brake. I can't wait either!

one of us
posted Hide Post
No engraving is planned. This is being done fairly inexpensively.

The checkering is up to the 'smith, however he wants to do it. I'm sure he'll do a nice job, his checkering is the best (are you reading this Barry?).

one of us
Picture of tonto
posted Hide Post
George
Looking very nice! I have almost got my 600 OK action feeding. It feeds the flatnosed casts almost perfect but the woodleigh softs still stick a bit. I have to get my barrel threaded and I think ill trim it back a bit also. I ordered a semi inletted stock.
Do you have any starter loads? Or can you use 600 nitro loads to start. I hope to be shooting mine by summers end if I dont screw anything up!
I look forward to your shooting report.
Dean

Posts: 1057 | Location: adirondacks,NY ,USA | Registered: 30 December 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
George,

Please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please, please have someone with a digital camcorder (or digital camera with movie capability) filming when you touch that bad boy off!

THAT would be something to see.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Robgunbuilder
posted Hide Post
Looking super- Your smith is doing a very nice job! I suggest you try about158- 165 grs of IMR 7828 behind a 900 gr bullet for your first few shots. Without a muzzel brake, 165 grs is literally all I can stand! With a good brake, it's a light practice load! Use a Federal 215 primer and crimp heavily. This is a slightly compressed load.-Rob

Posts: 6314 | Location: Las Vegas,NV | Registered: 10 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
George that looks like a real killer rifle! Looks like it could kill on both ends!

You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din!

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
looking good!!! That is going to be a real stomper!Are you going to use any kind of muzzle break???
I know I asked yoiu these questins already,did you arder the barrel direclty from pacnor?? Where is brass available?This has really got me thinking! Once again Very Cool!

Posts: 221 | Location: Back in Alaska where I belong | Registered: 22 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
*Tonto,
Hopefully this will go boom in a few weeks. Where did you get your cast bullets? I can see it getting real expensive shooting Woodleighs just for fun.

*GeorgeS,
Didn't you say at the Harrisburg show that you wanted first dibs? Don't worry, there will be video.

*Rob,
I have to get the rest of your load info for this. I will email you for the info. Thanks for the silly idea to build the beast.
My gunsmith has named the rifle. He calls it the "Killer of Giants".

*Rusty,
What is that saying? "May fortune favor the foolish"?

*Dude,
We are going to try it both ways, braked and non (unbroke? ). Just for fun. Yes it's a Pac-Nor. The brass is from (I always spell this wrong) Hoernbor. It took forever to get and he only makes the big stuff once per year. Email Robgunbuilder for the specifics.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
George, what are your hunting plans with the rifle?

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
500grains,
Well,...Godzilla and King Kong have already been taken care of, so that leaves...Idunno!

Seriously, I go to Namibia in July and if it's ready, I'll take the .600 and shoot a giraffe with it, I hear they're pretty tough.

Until I can afford an ele hunt, it will probably be just a fun gun, safe queen, take it to Maine or Canada to blast a black bear. Typical overpowered big bore stuff!

one of us
Picture of Robgunbuilder
posted Hide Post
George-The rear crossbolt looks awful high to me. Well centered, but make sure it doesn't foul the CZ trigger. I usually have to position the rear crossbolt lower than the one behind the action lug. You might even consider three crossbolts one behind the action screw for added strength. Have you gotten it to feed yet? Looking good! I like the quarter rib!Boy those Giraffes are in for a big surprise. You might actually be ahead of me going to Africa to try the .600 OK out. I'm going for B uff and ele next year with Johan Calitz.-Rob

Posts: 6314 | Location: Las Vegas,NV | Registered: 10 January 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Quote:

*GeorgeS,
Didn't you say at the Harrisburg show that you wanted first dibs? Don't worry, there will be video.

I'm there, George! You're only about 2hrs.' drive from here.

You bring the rifle and bungie cords, I'll bring my PAST recoil pad, Advils, and a helmet!

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
<mikeh416Rigby>
posted
George-you can bring it along on our duck hunts with Bill to clean up those cripples out on the lake.

one of us
Picture of tonto
posted Hide Post
George
here are the ones i have they are 1000 grains.
beartooth

i have another place to try that says it has 900grains ill get the address tonight.
dean

Posts: 1057 | Location: adirondacks,NY ,USA | Registered: 30 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 300H&H
posted Hide Post
Wayne Doudna at customcastbullets.com has some 900 gr. cast, but I can't access his website to get the info for some reason...

Posts: 672 | Location: St. Paul MN | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
George!

You can afford an elephant hunt, just check out the deals from Buzz Charlton:

1 ELEPHANT BULL 14 DAYS @TOTAL COST INCLUDING TROPHY FEE US$18000
TROPHY FEE ON ELE BULL SLIDING SCALE FROM $8000 TO $12000

OR

10 day hunt for Elephant Cow (TUSKLESS)
1 giraffe
1 kudu (non trophy)
1 kudu cow
1 waterbuck cow
2 warthog
2 impala
1 wilderbeast cow
1 zebra
1 eland female
1 baboon
1 hyena
TOTAL OF DAILY RATE AND TROPHY FEES: $10,170

Plus charter or car transport and dip/pack.

The PH's website: www.buzzcharltonsafaris.co.zw

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Unstable
posted Hide Post
Ron. What are the chances that I can get a 600 OK dummy round.

even if its some old used up brass I wouldn't care. just something to sit on my desk and raise eyebrows.

Posts: 201 | Location: NJ, USA | Registered: 22 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm only about 2 hours from George the other way, I'm in CT. I'd love to join you for the first big boom. If you meet there, I'm there.

Posts: 37 | Location: Groton, CT | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
navyhunter,

If you can make it over here, we can drive out to PA together.

George

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm not promising, but there is a good chance this will be ready(still in the white, stock not finished) to shoot on 5/9/04. It's the monthly USPSA match at our local club. We can bust some water barrels after the match.

I'll let you guys know if it's a sure thing.

One of Us
Picture of arrccod
posted Hide Post
George????? Are you the famous guy that took 14-16 rounds of 416 Rigby to down that Eland???????

Your a legend around here!!!!!

Are you sure .600 is enough....are you trying to hedge your bet??????

And what is the name of that Gunsmith....and how bout a phone number for him.....I got a couple project for him myself.

ARRCCOD

Posts: 28 | Location: Scranton,PA | Registered: 26 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Actually, it was 13 rounds. 11 were misses. He was running, quite fast I might add!

Email me for the phone number.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi George:

That 600 Overkill is looking mighty GOOD.... God you are in for a pounding...

Where exactly are you located.... I saw one guy post from Scranton.... I grew up in Dunmore... and I also have a place in Gouldsboro.

Hey us Northern PA boys have to stick together.

Regards.... Jim P.

Posts: 1015 | Location: PA | Registered: 08 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Robgunbuilder
posted Hide Post
With no brake and no Mercury recoil reducers it will be a memorable experience! I can shoot about 10 rounds before I'm Done like this. Most folks will shoot it only once. Now these are light practice loads!-Rob

one of us
posted Hide Post
PaHunter,

I used to live in Eynon, now I live by Elk Mountain. The guy building this for me is from Dunmore.

I don't know who the poster from Scranton is.

Rob,

The 'smith made a brake. I am wimping out, I have to try a brake. There are 2 11oz. recoil reducers in the stock.

We are going to assemble some ammo tonite.

one of us
Picture of CZ 550
posted Hide Post
George, If I don't have to work that day, count me in.
Andy

Posts: 477 | Location: Olyphant Pennsylvania | Registered: 05 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Robgunbuilder
posted Hide Post
You will enjoy the brake and recoil reducers. Try it at least once without the brake for the EXPERIENCE!-Rob

one of us
posted Hide Post
Andy,
Email me your number, I'll call you when we are shooting.

one of us
posted Hide Post
GeorgeS,
We will be shooting the "Killer of Giants" after the USPSA match at Factoryville Sportsmans Club on 05/09/04. Email me for directions if you want to join in the fun.

PS
There is beer on tap in the clubhouse for after the fun and games.

one of us
posted Hide Post
GeorgeInNePa!
I want to hear about how the .600 OK worked on the blackbear. And the giraff to

Posts: 751 | Location: sweden | Registered: 15 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Overkill,
Hopefully in a few months I'll have pics of the giraffe the .600 will have taken to show you. The black bear will have till wait until next year.