THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIG BORE FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Big Bores    "Safari Express VS. "Super Express"?

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"Safari Express VS. "Super Express"? Login/Join

one of us
Picture of BW
posted
Gentleman,

As a left-handed shooter, it's sometimes hard to find exactly the rifle you want. So when a friend mentioned finding a "lefty" 375H&H Winchester "Super Express" for sale in a gun shop, I was very interested. Being the nice guy he is (just in case he's reading this ) he picked it up for me and is shipping it to my local FFL holder.

In the mean time he sent me some pictures via e-mail...

I was wondering what the differences were between the "Super" and the "Safari" models? I see this rifle has a Monte Carlo stock, and have been told the floor piece is two piece, not the "picture frame" style Winchester advertises now. Anything else of interest I should know?

Thanks!

------------------
Brian
The 416 Taylor WebPage!

Posts: 778 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Antonio>
posted
The rear sight has also been changed...

Antonio

one of us
Picture of BW
posted Hide Post
Thanks Antonio,

My computer monitor makes all pictures look too dark, and I can't seem to correct it. Anyhow, that rear sight looks awefully big, but I won't really know until I get the rifle.

------------------
Brian
The 416 Taylor WebPage!

Posts: 778 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Brian,
The rear sight is big, but it folds down.

I've got four lefthand M-70s (.270, 7mmSTW,
.375, .470 Capstick) and each is one accurate and reliable.

You're going to love yours (and if you don't, I just might buy it from you.)

George

------------------
Shoot straight, shoot often, but by all means, use enough gun!

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Deerdogs
posted Hide Post
George S

Four lefty M70s? That is just plain greedy.

How do you sleep at night? If it helps I'll take one off your hands.

------------------
Regards

Richard

Posts: 1978 | Location: UK and UAE | Registered: 19 March 2001Reply With Quote
<Bill T>
posted
BW: I own 2 "Super Express" Model 70's, one in .375 H&H, the other in .458 Win. Mag., both are excellent rifles! What I really like about these rifles is the fact that Winchester thermoplastic beds the action to prevent stock splitting. Many manufacturers producing big bore bolt guns don't do this, and the result is most always a cracked stock. Some years back I bought a Remington "Custom Shop Safari Grade" Model 700 in .458 Win. Mag. After less than 40 rounds the stock split wide open at the tang. You can imagine my suprise when I removed the action from the stock and found NO BEDDING AT ALL!, not even in the recoil lug area. This is inexcuseable in a rifle of this caliber and cost. But thats Remington. Enjoy your new Super Express, it's a great gun. Bill T.

<Don G>
posted
Bill T,

If you want to call that rubbery goop they bed with "thermoplastic" rather than hot glue, mor power to you. You'd better not depend on it to prevent the stock splitting in the long haul.

It sounds like your rifle is a keeper, so I'd bed it or have it bedded by an expert on heavy rifles.

Your mileage may vary.

BW,

The rear sight looks just like the one that came from the factory on mine. It fit the barrel poorly, and appeared to be a stock Williams piece with no attempt at custom fitting at all.

Don

<Bill T>
posted
My .375 H&H Super Express has well over 650 rounds thru it, and the same gun in .458 has just over 500, all full house loads, and both stocks look like the day they were pulled out of the box. I'm not saying their bedded as well as a custom smith would do the job, but compared to Remingtons "Custom Shop" that beds their big bores with AIR, it certainly works well. I'm not the type of shooter that buys a factory rifle, then doubles the price of it by running to the gunsmith for this, that, and the other thing. I believe when you pay good hard money you should get what you pay for. Sometimes with guns you do or you don't. I guess I'm the type that goes to a gunsmith when I have a problem, not to tinker and or, try to improve. Yeah, I could most likely get a better bedding job done, it's just that I see no reason to. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Bill T.

posted Hide Post
Deerdogs,
Tis my mission in life to acquire all sorts of neat toys before I shed this mortal coil.

I'm doing a fine job of it, if I do say so myself!

The nightmares involved in legally exporting a gun from here (especially now) and importing it into the U.K. would be daunting, don't you agree?

George

------------------
Shoot straight, shoot often, but by all means, use enough gun!

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
I think stock durability is really a matter of the piece of wood you get. Doesn't matter how well it's bedded if the wood isn't strong enough. My "Super Express" (also left handed and .375H&H) rifle stock split after one box of ammo. Rather than deal with a warranty battle I had a McMillan stock put under it.

Posts: 2939 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
<Bill T>
posted
Stock durability no doubt requires a good piece of wood to start with, however bedding is not an option on heavy recoiling rifles. My .460 Weatherby Mark V DeLuxe is bedded in 3 places in addition to having a steel rod inserted in the pistol grip area, all to prevent stock splitting from the guns heavy recoil. My .460 is coming up on 400 rounds, and the stock is in the same condition as when I removed it from the box. On the other hand, my Remington "Custom Shop" 700 in .458 split after 40 rounds with no bedding what so ever. Now, because of that, the gun wears a UGLY synthetic stock, because Remington refused to restock the gun in Walnut. Bill T.