THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIG BORE FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Big Bores    .500 caliber bolt action: Please Vote
Page 1 2 

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.500 caliber bolt action: Please Vote Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Robgunbuilder
posted Hide Post
I think we are starting to acquire a fair anmount of real game evidence of the effectiveness of the .600OK. If I could have only one big bore, that would be the one. It's way way easier to build than any .500Jeff or .505 Gibbs. Brass lasts foreever as you will be just as scared of it as you are of your .500 Jeff and for those who actually shoot alot, it's no more difficult to handle than a .500 jeff or Gibbs. Load it up or down. No matter what its more Gun than you'll ever need. besides WE KNOW it works on a CZ550.-Rob

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers to do incredibly stupid things- AH (1941)- Harry Reid (aka Smeagle) 2012
Nothing Up my sleeves but never without a plan and never ever without a surprise!

Posts: 6314 | Location: Las Vegas,NV | Registered: 10 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
im looking at building a 620 over kill but being left handed has made it a bit harder the only action i can think of suitable is the gma left handed mauser action that im having a 505 built on right now......

are there any other suitable reliable actions i could do it on?????????

Posts: 2095 | Location: B.C | Registered: 31 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dan,

I hadn't been to 470Mbogos site recently so this was my first read of your article. VERY nice job! Thank you.

John

There are those that do, those that dream, and those that only read about it and then post their "expertise" on AR!

Posts: 831 | Location: Mount Vernon, WA | Registered: 18 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
boom stick,

Does Leupold offer a fixed power 1.5?

Thanx

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
500grains,

Do you recommend against scoping a .458 Lott as well as the .500 and .505?

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No. I have a Lott with a Leup 1.5-5 and the recoil is quite mild so my forehead is never in danger. However, it is not a factory stock. Factory stocks on model 70s tend to exaggerate felt recoil.

With the .50 calibers, movement of the rifle and your body is significant during recoil, putting the forehead of all but the most disciplined shooters in danger. They are in a whole different class than the Lott.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
what would you think of an aimpoint-type sight on a hard kicker. I put one on the 505 Gibbs and was pleased with it, but sixty rounds does not constitute a good test, and there is always the battery issue.

regards,

Rich
DRSS

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ok.

1. Is your .458 Lott stock an aftermaket stock or custom fitted wood or composite?

2. Is the .460 Weatherby (factory brake) felt recoil anyway comparable to the 500 Jeffery or the .505 Gibbs?

Thanks again.

One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 615 | Location: a cold place | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Buliwyf:
Ok.

1. Is your .458 Lott stock an aftermaket stock or custom fitted wood or composite?

Custom Turkish walnut stock.

quote:

2. Is the .460 Weatherby (factory brake) felt recoil anyway comparable to the 500 Jeffery or the .505 Gibbs?

I have not shot a 460 wby with factory brake, but I am going to guess that the braked .460 will have about one third to one half the felt recoil of a 505 gibbs w/o brake.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of trophyhunter5000
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Buliwyf:
Does Leupold offer a fixed power 1.5?

Not that I have seen....But I have a couple of their old M8 2.5X. They are great scopes for hard kickers. They have plenty of eye releif and just enough magnification. I just mounted one on my 505. Only twenty rounds through it so far from the bench (not nearly enough to equate any stamina to the scope). But, 500 gr is right. A scope on a hard kicker can be dangerous if you don't know what you're doing (not that I'm any type of expert but I've seen rank amatures get cut by 7mags and 30-06, imagine a big bore).

I think Leupold still offers the 2.5 under a different title, ultra light maybe. I'm going to shoot another 100 or so rounds through my 505 (with scope) before I send it off to be polished and tweaked. I'm firing 600gr at 2300 fps, I'll let ya guys know if the scope crashes......

Matt V.

Posts: 781 | Location: The Mountain State | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote