New
Find
Notify
Tools

w j jeffery Login/Join

one of us
Picture of tonto
posted
Anyone have and idea if a jeffery double shotgun action is anywhere near the same as thier double rifle action. I picked up a cheap 12g hammergun and want to rebarrel it to something like 303 british.
Dean

Posts: 1057 | Location: adirondacks,NY ,USA | Registered: 30 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tonto,

It is up to you, but a 12 bore is a mighty BIG action for a 303 Brit double rifle.

ASS_CLOWN

Posts: 1673 | Location: MANY DIFFERENT PLACES | Registered: 14 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lar45
posted Hide Post
Does it have a Doll's head or Greener cross bolt? This will ad to the strength of the action. If your considering this, then I might suggest buying the book on building double rifles on shotgun actions. It has a good section on selecting actions. You might look at the flats for proof information. Make sure it was nitro proofed. There is a difference in the European 12ga shotguns. some were made as a light upland game gun intended for light loads. Others were a heavy 12ga inteneded for heavy loads and waterfowl. The heavy 12ga is a much stronger action.

I've put lots of rounds through my 470 on the Belgian 12ga action. I messed up one barrel while regulating and have a new one to replace it, but the action seems to be holding up fine. Mine does have the Greener cross bolt.

The pressure of the 303 might be a problem with the shotgun fireing pins. You might have to have the fireing pins bushed to reduce clearance if need be so you don't experience a pierced primer.

Just thoughts, not an expert on anything.

Expert. To understand the word it must be broken down in to it's sub words.

Ex- Has been

spurt- a drip under pressure.

Posts: 2924 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tonto
posted Hide Post
I know 12 gauge is large for the 303 but its an older hammer gun and I was hoping to keep the pressure down. I have that book lars its a great referance hope I can make something out of the action.
Dean

Posts: 1057 | Location: adirondacks,NY ,USA | Registered: 30 December 2001Reply With Quote