THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIG BORE FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Big Bores    Whitworth make-over is done

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Whitworth make-over is done Login/Join

one of us
posted

I've finally (I think) finished with my Whitworth mods. I started by having Tip Burns cut off the Magnaports and add a target crown. Tip also added a PME 2 postition side safety. I just got the gun back from Tip's stock guy, John Valicek, who cut the forearm about an inch and added a nice ebony forend tip to replace the factory plastic. Then he grafted a piece of the discarded stock wood to the hole left when Tip took off the factory side safety.

This is the gun my son and I used in Namibia, so it's a favorite for many reasons. It's trim, very accurate with irons or scope, now about 8 lbs.

I was incredibly lucky in purchasing this gun sight unseen from Ed Foden from AR, as it has the nicest piece of wood I've ever seen on a Whitworth. The only flaw in the stock was a worm hole or two in the tip of the wood, which co-incidentally came off when John shortened the stock. Bob

Posts: 1286 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 20 October 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hmmm, pictures not showing on my computer. I've done so previously on imagestation, any ideas how to get them to show. Bob

Posts: 1286 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 20 October 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D99
posted Hide Post
yes put them on Photobucket.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Australia | Registered: 06 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
That is a beautiful piece of wood. Fantastic looking a rifle period. No I couldn't see the pictures put found the track to your album.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rusty, if you run across this post, can you get the pictures on this post if I email them to you? Bob

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post

This one?? Hey I would setting for half that grain.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ElCaballero
posted Hide Post
Very nice! Mine is at the stock guy getting the very same modifications but using new wood. Mine came with what you would usually find on a Whitworth.

As a general rule, people are nuts!
spinksranch.com

Posts: 2095 | Location: Missouri, USA | Registered: 02 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for getting them posted, ramrod340. Here's wishing you as fine a piece of wood when you find yours.

Can you add another picture? Here's a better shot of the shortened stock and the new ebony. Bob

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Looking good! Sure wish mine had figure like yours.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
Mine looked like it was carved from a pine 2X6. That looks nice!

Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That is nice

Billy,

High in the shoulder

(we band of bubbas)

Posts: 1868 | Location: League City, Texas | Registered: 11 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Dang Bob! I forgot how nice the wood was on your rifle! John and Tip did a great job!

Congrats!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Very nice rifle. Congratulations and good hunting!

Mehul Kamdar

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."-- Patrick Henry

Posts: 2717 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote