THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIG BORE FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Big Bores    Diff. in 4 bore rifle and 4 bore shotgun?

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Diff. in 4 bore rifle and 4 bore shotgun? Login/Join

one of us
posted
What I believe is that a 4 (or 8, 10 or 12) bore RIFLE was one with rifling throughout the barrel, not just in last 2-3 inches and have rifle sights. And a 4 bore SHOTGUN was a plain shotgun WITHOUT rifling and rifle sights. And the RIFLE was intended to fire a full brass cartridge with a lead bullet. Am I true?

A friend argue that a rifle in such bores means a Paradox gun i.e., shallow grooves in last 2-3 inches. And such guns could be fired with both shot and bullet cartridges. And these have rifle sights. What is the truth?

There was another type also, i.e., 'Ball & Shot' or 'Jungle' guns. What were these? Just smooth bores with rifle sights..?

Wanted to be confirm about ultimate stoppers...

Saad

Posts: 271 | Location: Pakistan | Registered: 28 July 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Saad,

As far as I'm aware your understanding of the rifle ~V~ the smoothbore is correct.
I think the "Ball& Shot" and "Jungle Guns"
were generic names for guns of the Paradox type as more than you make made this sort of weapon. "Ball & Shot" was actually the marking stamped on the barrel to indicate its use....

Pete

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Saad,
You could also attribute the term '4 bore' to a weapon like Baker's(circa 1860?)
Which was not a shotgun or a cartridge rifle, but a rifled muzzleloader, which was an earlier developement.

You'd need a real expert to get into the nuances of period bore naming etc.
I think it would be a 4 guage, rather than 4 bore shotgun. Then again some guys at the time were calling the weapon by its shot weight also. A 2 ounce or 4 ounce or half pounder etc.

Karl.

Karl

Posts: 3533 | Location: various | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
<CARR4570>
posted
SHIKAREE, I'M QUOTING FROM "CARTRIDGES OF THE WORLD" UNDER THE SECTION ON "GAUGE RIFLES": "WHAT I HAVE CALLED THE GAUGE-RIFLES ARE FROM 12-4 BORES, THOUGH A FEW 2 BORES HAVE APPEARED. THESE ARE RIFLES OF FULL WEIGHT AND POWER, RIFLED THROUGH AND THROUGH,AND ORIGINALLY WERE BLACKPOWDER CARTRIDGE GUNS INTENDED FOR USE AGAINST LARGE ADN DANGEROUS GAME." I HOPE THIS IS OF SOME HELP. THE GUNS WITH A LITTL BIT OF RIFLING AT THE END ARE PARADOX GUNS LIKE YOU THOUGHT.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Guys.

Saad

Posts: 271 | Location: Pakistan | Registered: 28 July 2001Reply With Quote