Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.375-.338 Login/Join

<Cobalt>
posted
Any opinion of or experience with the .375 Taylor? Rifle will be built on either a 1909 Argentine or a VZ-24. Can .375HH performance really be duplicated in a standard length action? Thanks, Bob

one of us
posted Hide Post
You can get pretty close depending on the barrel length. Do a web-search for the .416 Taylor and it will show a website (he posts here once in awhile) and they have info on the .375 Taylor as well.

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Cobalt..
You find the .416 Taylor web site on this adress. http//www.geocities.com/bw_99835/

Lots of big bore info !!

Arild

Posts: 1877 | Location: Southern Coast of Norway. | Registered: 02 June 2000Reply With Quote
<Phil R>
posted
Cobalt,
I have a Ruger #77 in .375/.338 with a 24" PacNor barrel. It weighs 8lbs with scope and equals H&H ballistics with a little less powder and less recoil(so it seems). It's a sleeper! Winchester should have built it as a factory cartridge a long time ago. My load data is on the 416 Taylor page refered to above.

------------------
Phil- Life Member NRA & SCI

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The reason you can duplicate 375 H&H ballistics from a 338 win mag case is because standard 375 loads are relatively low pressure. To get those same velocities out of the smaller 338 case, you have to use more pressure.

More pressure is something to think about if you are going to hunt in high temperatures, but probably not an issue if you elk hunting in Montana in November.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I built a number of 375 Chatfield-Taylors back when....With IMR 4064 and a couple of others you can duplicate the 375 H&H with ease and safely....

My question is why, is that percieved less than a 1/4" of action lenth a serious consideration in a DGR?

Considering the possible problems related to hunting abroad with a wildcat, I think not.

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
<Cobalt>
posted
Phil R,
Where did you get your dies for the .375 Taylor? Thanks, Bob

<Phil R>
posted
Cobalt,
I use Redding dies. They are at redding-reloading.com. They are excellent quality.

------------------
Phil- Life Member NRA & SCI