Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger Safari .375 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Saw a used one on the rack. Not a terrible price and had a few dings in stock. What was seemingly unusual was the front sight band and sight was set back about 1/2” from muzzle. Seemed very odd. Anyone seen a Ruger like that? I don’t think it was threaded with cap but possible only thing that made sense. Never saw one like that

Next time I’ll take a closer look to see if threaded

White Mountains Arizona

Posts: 2847 | Registered: 31 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gunslinger55:
Saw a used one on the rack. Not a terrible price and had a few dings in stock. What was seemingly unusual was the front sight band and sight was set back about 1/2” from muzzle. Seemed very odd. Anyone seen a Ruger like that? I don’t think it was threaded with cap but possible only thing that made sense. Never saw one like that

Next time I’ll take a closer look to see if threaded

Edit: Possibly one of the “new” Safari line I was thinking of the older ones

White Mountains Arizona

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I will go back and take a closer look I was thinking it was an RSM but it must be a Hawkeye African in .375 Ruger. If it was .416 I’d be more interested

White Mountains Arizona

one of us
posted Hide Post
Would be unusual, Ive owned severall and the were all set back about a 1/4" Maybe its one of the early ones, they were overly heavy barrels and tang safty..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some one might have turned the threads for the muzzle break off.

Posts: 702 | Location: South Central Texas | Registered: 29 August 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Brake.
I had one of the first Ruger RSM 375s made; those had the forward sling swivel on a barrel band, but under the forearm, a bad idea. And the barrels were hefty. But the front sight band only set back about 3/16ths at the most. So if yours is set back more, then it was altered. They have no recoil though.

Posts: 17123 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a nice using rifle, I would have no problem with some tricking out a hunting rifle if it shot well...I would ask to test fire it, if they said no then I would pass, there is always another good deal down the road..

On ANY big bore Id want the swivel on the barrel! and at least 3 or 4 inches in front of the forend.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If it has a quarter rib, it's an RSM, if not, either an older tang safety model or a newer "African".

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote