Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

May have a WR in .318 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Im receiving a nice Wesley-Richards to look at to buy...It will need restoration, but pretty easy job I think..So it seems .318 WR cases are a snap to make from 30-06 and I have cans and bags of o6 brass.

My question is who makes bullets now that Woodleigh is in limbo? Any suggestions of any kind from 318 users appreciated. I may in fact just use it as is if I decide to buy it and thats about a given..then the option of a rebore exits as a last resort?? probabl to a 35 or 9,3

How about dies availability?

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hawk has them too. Would love to see some pictures if you pick it up. That's a sweet caliber.

https://hawkbullets.com/bullet-selection.html

Posts: 103 | Location: Texas | Registered: 08 January 2021Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a .318 WR and reload for it using 30-06 brass which I trim and then run through the .318 dies an easy process. I found my dies (CH4D) some time back through an advert on the doublegunshop.com forum- a lucky find. RCBS used to make them on a custom order basis but that is no longer an option and I bet the order time for CH4D is way out.

I have used Woodleigh 250 grain bullets and I continue to scrounge around for them with moderate success.

About a year ago I ordered some .330 bullets from Hawk and they said they couldn't supply them as they were using all their copper on filling other orders.

I feel sure that once Woodleigh is able to re-establish itself that they will produce more bullets for the .318 WR but that's just a guess.

I would never rebore an original WR .318.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I recall reading an article probably 20+ years ago by Craig Boddington where he took .338 projectiles and had them centerless ground to .330 dia.

Centerless grinding is a pretty precise process so I imagine that would work pretty well.

DRSS
Kreighoff 470 NE
Valmet 412 30/06 & 9.3x74R

Posts: 1059 | Location: Denver | Registered: 31 May 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks to all for the good information, it appears dies will be the major problem..Im wondering if one could modify a set of 30-06 or 35 Welen dies. I recall having Dennis Olson make me a set of 375x9.3x62 some years ago and they worked great..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ray, I can loan you a set of dies for a few months if you can come up with bullets. I just checked and only have about a dozen woodleighs left so I'd like to know if you find a source.
Bob

DRSS

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, why are they made out of meat?"

Posts: 810 | Location: MT | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Quality Cartridge lists .330 monolithic Game-StopR bullets in 205, 225 and 250 gr.

Posts: 83 | Location: Brownstown, PA | Registered: 04 January 2022Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
30-06 brass
C-H tool and die 4D dies
Taper expand and trim to length
Fireform
May need to turn the necks if they are too thick

Bullets:
Hornady SP .330 cal for 8x56R 205 gr ( a bit light for the 318WR but ok for practice
PPU aalso make bullets for the 8x56R
problem with the .330 cal bullets for the 8x56R they are all around 205 to 208 gr

Hawk bullets and off course Woodleigh (if you can still find any )

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
I would contact Corbin regarding swaging readily available .338 caliber bullets down to .330.

Not 100% sure, but I would think that should be doable.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13396 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just purchased a custom Bennie Laubscher 318. I managed to get about 100 rounds of factory kynoch ammo as well as 200 woodleigh bullets. The rifle came with a set of RCBS dies.

Robertson Cartridge company does make brass in the USA.

Peregrine bullets also offers .330 bullets for loading.

It is a great cartridge with minimal recoil and fun to shoot!

Posts: 389 | Location: Limpopo, South Africa | Registered: 13 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MD375:
I just purchased a custom Bennie Laubscher 318. I managed to get about 100 rounds of factory kynoch ammo as well as 200 woodleigh bullets. The rifle came with a set of RCBS dies.

Robertson Cartridge company does make brass in the USA.

Peregrine bullets also offers .330 bullets for loading.

It is a great cartridge with minimal recoil and fun to shoot!

I believe RCC is bankrupt now and out of business.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BaxterB:

I believe RCC is bankrupt now and out of business.

That’s a shame!

I wish the 318 along with the 333 Jeffrey and 350 Rigby make a comeback!

It seems as though the London Makers are still chambering rifles (at no small price!) which should be a good sign

Posts: 389 | Location: Limpopo, South Africa | Registered: 13 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It should be easy to draw down .338 bullets to .330. I've had very good success with using Lee breech lock sizing dies to draw down bullets for my rifles. They are inexpensive and work well. Lee lists a .330 custom run overstock in their inventory for $16 + shipping.

Posts: 83 | Location: Brownstown, PA | Registered: 04 January 2022Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
fjrdoc.
Are you talking about cast or jacketed bullets such as Sierra, Hornady, etc.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I draw .323 Hornady 8mm Interlock bullets down to .318 for my 1914 Mauser sporting rifle. It doesn't require much effort to draw them down. I'm not an expert but I would think .338 to .330 would be doable.

one of us
Picture of Wildcatter
posted Hide Post
Lee can provide sizing dies. You can get a 0.333” die and a 0.329” die from Lee and size down 250gr Hornady round nose bullets. They would be perfect for the 318WR!

Shoot the largest caliber you can shoot well, and practice, practice, practice.

Posts: 788 | Location: Central Texas, U.S. | Registered: 20 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
got some good news..

C&H has as of this week put into motion an order for 30 .318 Wesley Richards die sets of which 15 sets have been on order for some time..demand is said to be going strong..I got my order in..delivery is expected mid summer..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My .318 had Metford rifling and dated from 1928. I found that it didn't like any kind of jump at all, so I loaded the 250-grain Woodleigh's so that they just about touched the lands. That worked fine, and the rifle shot very accurately.

That 250-grain Woodleigh is one of the finest hunting bullets I ever used. It has excellent sectional density and would penetrate in a straight line through everything. I wouldn't hesitate to use it on the largest of thin-skinned animals.

The .318 really punches above its weight in terms of killing power. I would rate it much closer to the 9,3x62 in the way it thumps animals than the .30-06. It's a fantastic cartridge.

Posts: 391 | Location: Australia | Registered: 14 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted Hide Post
Ray,
I have a box of maybe 40 bullets (Patriot brand) and a bunch of resized 30'06 brass that needs a trim to length if you find the wait for your dies too long.
I bet you could use a shortened 338WM seating die to seat if it came to that, maybe even an unaltered 338 die if you're loading long bullets.

Shoot me a PM if you're interested in the brass and bullets.

Anyone else interested can PM me too.

Posts: 3239 | Location: Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: 24 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have 10 boxes of 250 gr Woodleigh coming Im pretty sure..Maybe more..plus 4 boxes of Hawk bulllets, but thanks for the offer.

Got the rifle today, bores good and its nice overall, recoil pad is trash but LOP was not cut so i will replace a steel original "heel plate" or a pigskin covered Silvers pad, checkering is very nice but I may refinish the solid stock if so I will violate the gunsmiths that condemn Linseed oil and apply a hand rub old world finish over some Alkanet root, the last one lasted a couple of hundred years..May even go for a corbon blue by Doug Turnball, but the blue is more than decent...Just talking out loud as to the possibilities. May just load her up and go shoot deer and elk this fall, Lord willing and the creek don't rise..This gun gives me chills!! tu2

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Please post pictures.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I dont post on AR,never got around to it..but cn send to emails..once I decide to clean it up a bit, doesn't need much and at my age may just sell it at some point to someone that appreciates such jewels.. tu2

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ray,

If you ever decided de to part with it I would be interested.

DRSS
Kreighoff 470 NE
Valmet 412 30/06 & 9.3x74R

Posts: 1059 | Location: Denver | Registered: 31 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
Hey Ray

I have a Westley Richards drop lock DR in .318 WR. All the bells and buzzers as I believe that it was a Marajaha's gun. Haven't used it much. I will be happy to loan my RCBS dies to you.

Deo Vindice,

Don

Sons of Confederate Veterans Black Horse Camp #780

Posts: 1696 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 01 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
tHANKS TO ALL, THATS WHAT I LIKE ABOUT AR..

I have some decisions to make about this rifle, to restore to new and that would be easy with a refinished stock and a rust blue, but both are fine as is sooooo???? but at my age I tend to think let someone else who would appreciate it and get some use out of it, decisions, decisions. I suppose if the price was right Id sell it or trade it..Its AFrica ready as is..Serious potential buyers, call me and lets talk,

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120