Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New SIG "Mauser 98" Login/Join

one of us
posted
I was at the bookstore, glancing through gun magazines instead of studying, and came across a blurb about a new SIG "98" model DGR, in several large calibers -- the one that caught my eye was 500 Jefferey. By the description, it was 100% Mauser 98, just "blowed up" to handle the big calibers.

Is this a new offering, or have I just missed it? It looked nice, styled like a classic DGR. Anyone know how much it costs?

Todd

Posts: 1248 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 14 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Todd see the thread on Africa Big Game titled " Rick Jamison and the Mauser 98"

Mike

P.S. I wish I had the $6,500 for one!!

------------------
Victory through superior firepower!

Posts: 324 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
$6500 -- Yikes!!

So much for the lower cost alternative to building my own.

Anyone know if sabi rifles (bigbores.com)will machine YOUR Mauser 98 action to fit the 500 J like the ones that they offer as a complete rifle?

Posts: 1248 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 14 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wildcatter
posted Hide Post
Hey Guys,

Local dealers in Austin say that these rifles are not available. I called Sigarms in NH and they said that the 416 rigby is available. The prices were 9,520 for 416 rigby, 450 Dakota and 10,499 for the 500 Jeff.

-Catter

Posts: 788 | Location: Central Texas, U.S. | Registered: 20 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Todd,

For your sabi question, email nick@bigbores.com.

The basic problem is that you would have to ship your M98 to South Africa for machining, and that would be a hassle. It is cheaper just to let them use their own surplus actions in RSA.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
According to Peterson's Rifle shooter Magazine, an outfit called Legacy Sports Inc. is selling Itallian made mauser 98 actions for about $400. Sounds great. Model 70 safety, adjustable trigger. It gave no contact info. Yes there is an action available in big bore sizes but it comes mighty dear. $2700-10,500 Good luck. "D"

[This message has been edited by D Hunter (edited 10-15-2001).]

Posts: 1701 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 28 June 2000Reply With Quote
<Kboom>
posted
Todd,
Olympic Arms makes a true "magnum" action http://www.olyarms.com/bbk.html for about $600. I've head they're a little rough, but they should require little machine work. The CZ 550 can be had for about the same price.

[This message has been edited by Kboom (edited 10-15-2001).]