Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

376 Styer Login/Join

<AJ>
posted
Has anyone out there played with this round? I just shot one in a 15" T/C Encore handgun. It was a handfull, but not excessively painfull. I would like to get a reamer for the impoved vesion of the 376 Styer for use on a Mauser 98. The 376 Styr is right on the heels of a 375 H&H and the improved version should be about equal.

[This message has been edited by AJ (edited 05-28-2001).]

<Viking-59>
posted
AJ,

Did you ever receive any more info on the .376 Steyr?

I have one on the way in the Steyr SBS Pro .376 and hope to pick it up this week.

Thanks.

------------------
Viking Sends

http://www.Gunnery.Net

one of us
posted Hide Post
The .376 Steyr will shoot a 260gr bullet about as fast as a .375 H&H will shoot a 300gr bullet that is about 2600 fps for a difference in muzzle energy of 3900 ftlbs for the Steyr and 4500 ftlbs for the H&H...not exactly "on the heels". I wouldn't expect much of an increase from an "improved" version of the Steyr as it doesn't have much body taper in factory form and making the shoulder steeper wiil only add problems in feeding ....something you don't want in a rifle for dangerous game. If you are looking for a little brother for a .375 H&H take a look a the 300 Winchester Short Magnum case. It will fit into a short action while the .376 Steyr requires a .30/06 length action.

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Viking-59>
posted
Thanks Much! I do not plan on using it for dangerous game. Just got a real good deal on it from a shop that was closing for good and i like to pick up new calibers and new makes when possible.

I have a Pre 64 Model 70 Super African Express in .375 H&H that I would use when I save my money for an Africa Trip.

The Stery SBS in .376 for 450 bucks NIB was just impossible to pass on.

I have a 300 WSM on order but my guy say it will be while before they trickle in. I like short action when possible so i look forward to it as well.

Thanks again.

------------------
Viking Sends

http://www.Gunnery.Net

posted Hide Post
Is the 300WSM belted or non belted???

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Non, let me guess the next question, will it fit in a Sako short action? I honestly don't know but I do wonder if anyone has necked one down to 7mm!

[This message has been edited by 1894 (edited 06-21-2001).]

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have handled a scout rifle in both calibers. I am sure it is the same action. Therefore the .376 should fit in any .308 action. The case is, I was told a reformed and shortened 9.3x64. I would have preferred the x68 case, but perhaps it was too big.

Good Shooting H

Posts: 828 | Location: Europe | Registered: 13 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
1) That's a heck of a price on the Steyr.

2) The 300 WSM does not have a belt.

3) The .376 Steyr will not fit into a short action as it is almost as long as a 30/06. There are some "semi-short" actions out there that use a magazine spacer for the .308 family of cartridges that would be suitable but the classic Rem 700 short-action would be a no-go for the .376 Steyr.

4) Understand Remington will be announcing their own series of "shorties" based on the RUM line of cartridges.

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote