Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best Bullets Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am planning to hunt with only premium bullets in my .416 Howell. But which ones? I have gotten information from GS Custom, North Fork Technologies, I have bought a box of Barnes X bullets (325 grains) and I have read about the Swift A-Frames here and on other boards. I am planning on trying a box of the GS and North Fork bullets and seeing which ones work better in my rifle. I was wondering what others shoot in their .416�s.

Posts: 66 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: 07 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Newguy, If you are going for what the 416 has been shot at for years 400gr at 2400fps, the Swift, Barnes, Woodleigh and Nosler will fill the bill. If you want a more velocity you should try the 330 gr GS Custom or the 325 gr North Fork bullet. You should get good velocity out of either of those two. They are excellent premium bullets which will be both accurate and have excellent penetration.

Good Hunting
Steve

------------------
Every man dies, but not every man really lives!!

Posts: 439 | Location: Kansas by way of Colorado and Montana | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
<Terry P>
posted
I shoot the 350 gr Barnes for an all rounder. (108 gr Rel 22) Excellent accuracy out of my rifle. Also ,in the 400 gr, I don't think you can beat the Trophy Bonded softs and solids. The Trophy bonded softs really hold together and the solids are well designed.

Good shooting,
Terry

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hello Newguy.
I'm not familiar with what velocities the 416 Howell operate with, but in my 416 Taylor I'm very fond of 340 grs Woodleight in about 2300 ft/sec. The Woodleight bullets are quite soft and are perfect in lower speed.
But if you want something faster I'd certainly go for the Swift or Nosler.
Solids: Barnes and A-square are the toughest.(I think)

------------------
Shoot well, and hit hard.

Arild.

Posts: 736 | Location: In the deep Norwegian woods. | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't beleive I have ever used a better bullet than the Northfork Tech. bullets out of Wyoming...My PH's in Africa tell me the faster you drive them the better they expand and the more they penitrate... That goes against all laws of balistics, but it is a fact...They work fine out of my 416 at 2400 and out of the PH's Rigby with a stiff load at near 2700 FPS and blow big holes going out the other side, including a lenthwise full body penitration on a big old Dugga boy. that bullet came to rest in the neck perfectly expanded to about 50 cal. My PH mailed it to me but alas the African mail system failed again...

If I was loaded up with GS flat nose solids and Northfork softs, I would be ready for anything that walks, talks breaths or crawls.

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41875 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
<T. Kanaley>
posted
Whats the contact info for North Fork Tech?

Thanks,
Tony