Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

nickel cases Login/Join

<dickens>
posted
will nickel cases stick in a chamber more often than brass ones and if so why. i have always liked nickel but have been told it could be a problem in bigbore chambers. has anyone had this problem.

one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Not knowing "The" answer to this it seems highly unlikely that nickel plated brass would tend to stick, but just the opposite. Since the plated brass is much more rigid, in my experience, it would seem that it would not as likely stick as unplated, soft brass.

Posts: 19321 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was told that it was not as good for the reason that it was harder than regular brass cases, and therefore tended to crack easier the end result being less reloads out of each case. I do not know if this is right, I have a couple of hundred winchester supreme nickel cases I will probably never reload these 22/250 shells as this factory round produces 3 shot 1 hole groups at 100 yards and it would take me lots of money and components finding a combination that shot as well.

Regards PC.

------------------

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Daryl Elder>
posted
Actually nickel cases tend to be more slippery than regular brass cases. Bolt thrust caused by the case coming back against the bolt face can be an unwanted thing and some bench rest shooters request a "rough" chamber to prevent bolt thrust. Regular brass cases tend to "grip" the chamber walls more than nickel. As far as life of nickel cases, I've reloaded some a half doz times and see no problems yet and I use some very stiff loads in my 30/06. The nickel doesn't corrode like brass; a concern in damp conditions.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used nickel brass in my 300Wby for years and have had no problems what so ever.

Posts: 193 | Location: AR | Registered: 11 April 2001Reply With Quote
<Bill T>
posted
All the Federal Safari grade ammo comes with Nickel Plated cases. I believe the reason for this is because it's far more resistant to tarnish than non plated brass, therefore in humid tropical conditions it will not tarnish from sweat and moisture as fast, if at all. The cleaner a case is, the easier it will extract. Bill T.

one of us
Picture of Big Bore
posted Hide Post
33+ years of using Nickel cases and I have yet to find any of the old wives tales about nickel cases to be true. They do not scratch bores, dies, crack easier, dull trimmers, or any of the other bug-a-boos that have been blamed on them. Yes, the nickel can flake off after time, but the brass underneath is just fine. In the last ten years, I have not even had any cases flake nickel like they used to in the old days. Just remember this, nickel is harder than brass, but it is still a hell-of-a-lot softer than any barrel, die, or trimmer steel. If those are being scratched, it is by dirt being carried into the whatever. That just means the person doing the scratching is not keeping everything clean like they should be, and then look for a scape-goat on which to blame their mistake. JMHO.

Posts: 641 | Location: Indiana, U.S.A. | Registered: 21 October 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Nickel plated brass was made first in the late 1800s, or early 1900s to fix a real problem in the jungles of India, and the wetter climates of African rain forrests. The bare brass would carrode very quickly in the humidity of the jungle, and stick in the chambers of rifles, giveing the shooter only one shot, before his rifle was fixed. With an 700 lb tiger climbing your leg this was not a nice thing to have happen.

This is the reason Federal ammo uses nickel plated brass for all their Safari grade ammo. It feeds like quicksilver, it never sticks in the chamber, regardless of weather, it doesn't collect grit like regular brass, and I find, it loads very well in my press. I will use nothing else in Alaska's rainy coastal hunting season, or Africa's dust!

Anyone who is afraid of their nickel plated brass, I have a place where you can dispose of it. I'm a recycler, and all donations to a cleaner invironment can send it to me!

------------------
..Mac >>>===(x)===>
also DUGABOY1
DUGABOY DESIGNS
Collector/trader of fine double rifles, and African wildlife art

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote