New
Find
Notify
Tools

Factory 500's? Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Wildcatter
posted
Has anyone heard any news about an American company offering a .500 Jeffery, A-square, .505 Gibbs? I've been pricing conversions and custom rifles and I'd like to find a slightly less expensive and less time consuming avenue.

-Catter

Posts: 788 | Location: Central Texas, U.S. | Registered: 20 December 2001Reply With Quote
<Sooner>
posted
'catter, I know of no US manufacturer chambering 500's. If you really want one by far and away the cheapest way is to take a Ruger 1 in 458 and rechamber to one. I converted mine to 500 Jeff. Got a barrel from pac-nor for 250 and had it put together. The whole deal costed me about $550, with a muzzle brake and recoil pad.

BTW, it took 8 weeks to get the barrel and one day to put it all together and make it work.

Sooner

One of Us
posted Hide Post
American Hunting Rifles in Montana makes a 500 AHR which is a lengthened 500 Jeffery with a larger rim. I have not seen one of their rifles.

www.bigbores.com offers a 500 Jeffery based on a Mauser 98 that is made in South Africa and imported. I know that is not a direct answer to your question, but at least it is available in the US.

If you really want a 500 jeff made in the USA, then you probably have to go the custom route. The good news is that it takes so long to get the gun that the project does not cost much on a monthly basis!

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
<500 AHR>
posted
Wildcatter,

I have an AHR DGR in 500 AHR and it is worth every penny. Ed Plummer's company does a top notch job! I think that you will find them to be the best priced 500 going domestically. My rifle shoots about 1 inch groups at 100 yards no problem.

Todd E