THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIG BORE FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Big Bores    Griffin & Howe side mounts

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Griffin & Howe side mounts Login/Join

<Terry P>
posted
Anyone have any experience with these? I am going to be looking at a Winchester 375HH with these tomorrow.
Thanks,
Terry

<Bill Tompkins>
posted
Terry,

These are for the most part a terrific mount for DGR's. They allow for quick exchange between scope and iron sights with a twist of usually 2 levers.

The drawback that most people site is that the primary portion of the mount is usually screwed to the left side of the receiver for right handed users. If you decided to change mounting methods, something would have to be done with the screw holes.

Other than that the ability to return to zero is exceptional with the use of a stop screw and detents for the mounting screws.

We have given up on the screws into the side of the receiver and make the receiver with the primary mount integral with the receiver. It makes the receiver a little more expensive to make but it is truly a neat solution to scope/open sight shooting.

Bill

one of us
posted Hide Post
Another sollution to not drilling an action is to solder the side mount on...but it must be sighted with the scope in the center of its focal plane prior to soldering, tricky but can be done...

I love those old G&H mounts, but they belong on a rifle such as a Westley Richards, H&H or of that ilk...They leave a clear reciever and I dearly love that with iron sights.

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote