THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIG BORE FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Big Bores    Hornady 410/411 bullet performance?

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hornady 410/411 bullet performance? Login/Join

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted
Well took my 400PDK to the lease this weekend to clean out some big Hogs. Normally we take hogs in the 100# range for meat. But the BIG stuff is really maing a mess. So were just thinning and pulling the real big stuff into the woods.

I took a 100# sow with a 300gr Hornady 411 flat nose leaves the muzzle around 2675. At 80 yds with a hit through the shoulders she dropped on the spot and the bullet exited. However same bullet and a 225# boar hit behind the shoulder no exit but dropped on the spot with only a quiver. Surprised of the no exit but he smelled to bad to try and cut the bullet out.

Loaned the rifle to my buddy's 24 year old son. Told him to take ammo from the right side of the box. Of course he took from the left. These were 400 gr 410 DGXs at 2265, Heavy bullet but not a sold. These were seconds that Midway sold a few months ago. He shot a 200# boar through the shoulder bullet exited then passing through the ribs and exited a 175# sow. Entrance hole on the sow was big enough to stick a finger in exit would take 2 fingers+. Both animals dropped on the spot with only some kicking by the sow.

I'm new to both of the bullets. Does this performance make sense? Everything dropped on the spot but I was a little suprised of the no exit on the 300 and even more by the double pass through.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm surprised that at that speed, the first one exited. That is way too fast for that soft bullet. You will be more likely to have exits if you slow it down 400+fps and put it back in it's normal (designed) operating range.

Posts: 437 | Location: WY | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm surprised that at that speed, the first one exited. That is way too fast for that soft bullet. You will be more likely to have exits if you slow it down 400+fps and put it back in it's normal (designed) operating range.

I figured that might be part of it. I know they were designed for the 405 not my wildcat. But for the price they are cheap to shoot. I think since it was a sow without the heavy cartlidge was part of it. Plus it missed bone on both sides.

The 300gr has taken several hogs before this weekend. about 50/50 exits. But always on smaller hogs. No hag has moved more than a foot from point of impact. No follow ups required.

Does the 400 results sound normal?

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
posted Hide Post
First off, check real close and see if a magnet will pick them up. As far as I am concerned, they are not DGX if they do not have the steel jacket. The ones I tested do not have steel in the jacket and they came loaded in factory 450-400 ammo. Maybe they now make the steel jacketed 410 bullet and load them in ammo but that is not what was loaded in these.

These did OK for the velocity attained but I don't think I would drive them faster. Maybe you can the steel jacketed ones but not these.

Posts: 437 | Location: WY | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
My 400gr .410 bullets were Hornady seconds that Midway sold in bulk several months ago. The bullet looks just like the DGX listed on the Hornady site. Looking at mine they have and exposed lead tip and a magnet will stick to the side of the bullet. So DGX or not they are a .410 400gr Hornady steel jacketed copper clad lead tip bullet. Big Grin

Having never shot this heavy a constructed bullet I was suprised by the double penetration. They were super cheap and I have plenty. They killed DEAD on contact. I will just need to be sure of the background.

We tried the 400s on some Live Oak wet logs. They penetrated a 5" log but didn't on a 7". Didn't have anything with me to try and cut it out so moved the log to a safe place.

As to the 300s while being explosive due to the speed I push them they appear to kill quickly. Or at least todate. They appear to be as hard or harder tham some Hawks that were given me.

Currently working up loads on some resized 416 Magtips. We will see.

All in all I planned the rifle for a TX hog killer and water jug blaster and to date it is everything I wanted.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K