New
Find
Notify
Tools

Premium .458 Bullets Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What about the jaw bone ?

On quite a few animals it is one of the toughest bones and will stop bullets.

Previously 500N with many thousands of posts !

Posts: 1815 | Location: Australia | Registered: 16 January 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The head on a big buff is massive-make no mistake.Softs cannot zip right on through,IMO.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 505G:
What about the jaw bone ?

On quite a few animals it is one of the toughest bones and will stop bullets.

The jaw bone is the bone that the teeth are set in. They are hollow and I don't think of them as tough as say the elbow joint or vertebrae. The rear part of the jaw is the one that goes up to where it articulates to the rear part of the zygomatic arch. It is called the ascending ramus. Only the articulating joint is very thick or solid bone but it is relatively small. The teeth are the hardest bones in the jaw especially the molars. Look at the jaw of a cow sometime while it is a fairly good sized bone it isn't very tough.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The jaw bone of a Water Buffalo hit in the right place will stop a SN bullet dead in it's tracks.

I shot a Water Buff, one of the shots hit the jaw.
Anyway, I asked my mate who was very experienced and he said the jaw bone was deadly on bullets (obvioulsy the teeth don't help).

So I lined up a couple of Buff with the 500
and shot right into the curve of the jaw bone.

The left bone broke or had a hole in it,
the bullet lodge part way through the inside of the other curve on the other side.

That was from 5 - 8 feet away.

Anything that stops a 570gn bullet
at that distance is pretty hard IMHO.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 505G:
The jaw bone of a Water Buffalo hit in the right place will stop a SN bullet dead in it's tracks.

I shot a Water Buff, one of the shots hit the jaw.
Anyway, I asked my mate who was very experienced and he said the jaw bone was deadly on bullets (obvioulsy the teeth don't help).

So I lined up a couple of Buff with the 500
and shot right into the curve of the jaw bone.

The left bone broke or had a hole in it,
the bullet lodge part way through the inside of the other curve on the other side.

That was from 5 - 8 feet away.

Anything that stops a 570gn bullet
at that distance is pretty hard IMHO.

With all due respect the bullet wasn't stopped by the first jaw bone hit. What happens after that is immaterial as it isn't going to kill the animal any way. What is important is if it would keep the bullet from reaching the brain. That isn't likely with any well designed soft point in a caliber suitable for buff. A shot that hits the jaw bone was a poor shot anyway. The only exception I can see to that is on a very tall elephant that is very close and you have to shoot up to hit the brain on a side brain shot. In that case you will hit the ascending ramus but no where near the curve of the jaw unless you are under the elephant.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am sure you never shot a buff in the head with a soft.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
thats why you should never use anything else but CEB BBW#13 Non-Cons - they will be more destructive AND penetrate better than any other expanding bullet in existence.. I dont know this by first hand experience, but I would guess that the noncons would exit on a headshot on buff... Even a report on one exciting on a side-on ele head shot...

Posts: 873 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andy
posted Hide Post
Here is a 465 grain bronze TCCI (Same as A-Square) into cow elephant jaw and molars at 9 paces. MV 2500 fps.

465 grain RN that was recovered in molar is deformed. Same bullet recovered from head is not. Penetration only 31-39 inches, about like they do in water tank). NF FN that penetrated 64 inches of elephant skull to right.

Buffalo, BBS #13 cannot be most destructive 458 unless it has alot more frontal area than I think it does. Can you give me a link?

Andy

Posts: 1278 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 16 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 465H&H:

With all due respect the bullet wasn't stopped by the first jaw bone hit. What happens after that is immaterial as it isn't going to kill the animal any way. What is important is if it would keep the bullet from reaching the brain. That isn't likely with any well designed soft point in a caliber suitable for buff. A shot that hits the jaw bone was a poor shot anyway. The only exception I can see to that is on a very tall elephant that is very close and you have to shoot up to hit the brain on a side brain shot. In that case you will hit the ascending ramus but no where near the curve of the jaw unless you are under the elephant.
465H&H

You and I normally agree but on some of these points we don't.

"A shot that hits the jaw bone was a poor shot anyway.

Not everybody hits the exact spot they want all of the time, especially in a charge situation so a front on shot could well be too low and hit the jaw.

"That isn't likely with any well designed soft point in a caliber suitable for buff.

Yes, well, the people I hunt with would have shot over 10,000 Water Buffalo and with a wide variety of bullets. I would say they would know and that is why I tried it, albeit on a freshly dead Buffalo.

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shootaway:

Shoots,

You're dreaming if you think a properly constructed soft point will not penetrate a Buff's head when fired from a big bore rifle such as your Lott or my 500NE.

In 09, I shot a buff head on square between the eyes at about 40 yards with a 570 gr TXS in my 500NE. The bullet exited the rear of the skull, re-entered the hump behind the head, and traveled 20 inches or so before stopping.

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Andy:
Here is a 465 grain bronze TCCI (Same as A-Square) into cow elephant jaw and molars at 9 paces. MV 2500 fps.

465 grain RN that was recovered in molar is deformed. Same bullet recovered from head is not. Penetration only 31-39 inches, about like they do in water tank). NF FN that penetrated 64 inches of elephant skull to right.

Buffalo, BBS #13 cannot be most destructive 458 unless it has alot more frontal area than I think it does. Can you give me a link?

Andy

Yeah, here is a link to about 250 pages of data, much of it concerning the BBW#13 CEB bullets.

http://forums.accuratereloadin...043/m/2861098911/p/1

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:
quote:

Shoots,

You're dreaming if you think a properly constructed soft point will not penetrate a Buff's head when fired from a big bore rifle such as your Lott or my 500NE.

In 09, I shot a buff head on square between the eyes at about 40 yards with a 570 gr TXS in my 500NE. The bullet exited the rear of the skull, re-entered the hump behind the head, and traveled 20 inches or so before stopping.
A 500gr TSX sometimes expands and sometimes it doesn`t-that is a fact.If it encounters fluids in front it will expand and penetration will be less than a 500 swift or 550 Woodleigh SP.It could be that the 570gr TSX did not expand in the buffs head.

one of us
posted Hide Post
[URL= ]500gr TSX from back stop(100yds)[/URL]
[URL= ]500 gr A-frames from backstop(100yds)[/URL]

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Shoots,

A 500gr TSX sometimes expands and sometimes it doesn`t-that is a fact.If it encounters fluids in front it will expand and penetration will be less than a 500 swift or 550 Woodleigh SP.It could be that the 570gr TSX did not expand in the buffs head.

killpc

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
[URL= ]500gr TSX from back stop(100yds)[/URL]
[URL= ]500 gr A-frames from backstop(100yds)[/URL]

This proves about as much as your hammer test! killpc killpc killpc

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Teeth will stop a bullet as fast as anything. I had a 577 solid not exit a wart hog that I shot up the nose and hit the molars, it lodged in the shoulder. Had a friend shoot a buffalo in the head with a 450 Dakota with a 500 grain mono RN solid and the bullet didn't make it past the teeth.

Posts: 2830 | Location: NC | Registered: 08 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
I have a bunch of these somewhere but I'm not sure where I put them as they don't amount to much. They all look the same.

A .416, 400gr TSX taken out of the range backstop. No fluids necessary for expansion.

One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have a bunch of these somewhere but I'm not sure where I put them as they don't amount to much. They all look the same.

A .416, 400gr TSX taken out of the range backstop. No fluids necessary for expansion.

Yup, I have handfuls that look just the same, no water added or involved for said expansion. Mine are .308, .375 and. 416.

I enjoyed reading Andy's results back when he originally did the experimentation much as I did with the IWB work.

Times change, research techniques improve, we learn much and more. The research techniques used today are superior and give us more information - and correlate to field results on live game animals, though I do enjoy revisiting the groundwork done by others.

Remember, the "Ignore" button is a valuable tool to avoid the need for either H2 blocker or PPI.

NRA Lifer; DSC Lifer; SCI member; DRSS; AR member since November 9 2003

Don't Save the best for last, the smile for later or the "Thanks" for tomorow

Posts: 3460 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andy
posted Hide Post
For the number crunchers.

Not the most up to date spreadsheet but I figured out ow to turn it into a jpeg.

Andy

Posts: 1278 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 16 January 2004Reply With Quote