THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIG BORE FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Big Bores    What Is Your Favorite Practice Position?

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What Is Your Favorite Practice Position? Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Nitroman
posted
Once you have determined your sights are where you want them, what is you favorite practice position?
Mine is sitting followed by a semi-kneeling for added height. I have right leg under me, sitting on the heel of my right foot. I can get about 6 inches higher with this position.
I do not like offhand, even though I practice with .22's for concentration I have never been able to master this position.

Posts: 1844 | Location: Southwest Alaska | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Roger,

Someone gave me a rusty old Remington 700 in 243 Winchester. The barrel was beyond any help, so I threw it away, cleaned up the action, installed a new stainless steel barrel on it, chambered for the 308 Winchester and put the whole lot in a McMillan classic stock, painted silver.

The rifle is extremely accurate, and everyone loves it. It gets shot more than any rifle here in our range.

We use this for all our hunting practice. We use bullseye targets that are about 5-6" in diameter, and shoot at them from 100 yards off hand. Everyone loads 5 rounds and fires them as quickly as he can shoot them accurately.

Quite a few of us have no problems putting all 5 shots in the black.

Of course, this is far too easy compared to actual hunting conditions. Where you might be running after an animal, see only glimpses of it and try to put a bullet in it.

Sometimes I wonder myself how I manage to hit some of the animals I shoot at.

------------------
saeed@ emirates.net.ae

www.accuratereloading.com

Posts: 66927 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Roger,
With .375s & up, off-hand is my favorite position. Not because I am any good at it, but because a) recoil is easily handled, and b) you're most likely to shoot a big bore from a standing position.

With smaller calibers, I shoot from the sitting and kneeling positions with shooting sticks.

George

------------------
Shoot straight, shoot often, but by all means, use enough gun!

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Before I buggered up my knee I used to use what they call "the rice-paddy squat" position...it was fairly steady and I could assume it quickly. Now I either practice off-hand, over the sticks, or leaning against something like a tree or post....kneeling and sitting don't work for me any more with my stiff knee.

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
On top! .... Unless I'm very tired.

Posts: 11017 | Registered: 14 December 2000Reply With Quote
<JohnDL>
posted
I don't know if it is my favorite, but I practice a lot on sticks that I made. They use them a lot in Africa. The grass is often high, making a sitting position impossible and there often is no "rest" available. Like anything else, shooting off sticks is an acquired art.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Nickudu...when I'm on top I ain't practicing.

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Slamfire>
posted
When I hunted in open country I did about 60% of my practicc from the sit with a tight sling. Now I can't see more than 75 yards, so kneeling with a "Ching" sling gets most of my attention. I liken offhand shooting to shooting at running game. If the animal will stay in sight for the amount of time it takes me to empty the magazine, it is ok to do it. There is no doubt your can train yourself to accurately shoot at running game, and you can train yourself in accurate snap shooting. Well, I'm of the opinion that you can train yourself to shoot from steadier positions while using a sling, in the amount of time the game allows.

[This message has been edited by Slamfire (edited 08-14-2001).]

one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
I'm too lazy. I'll take the bottom.

Posts: 19305 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
Man, with a subject line like that, you're likely to get all sorts of crude and leud responses. Based on the sensitivities of my shooting partner, I'll keep the prefferred positions private.

As far as practice, I find shooting at my 3"X4" spinner with the 22rf is pretty good, cheap, and you get instant feed back on your misses and hits. With concentration, I can hit it 5/5 at 35 yds w/ irons on the 10/22. I'm too lazy to wait for it to stop swinging before taking the next shot, and with timing, you can hit it at the bottom of its swing, also good practice for moving targets.

My buddy has a 1" thick ~8" dia steel plate and stand. I've shot it a couple times when I had the 458 lott, unfortunatley each time I hit it, the plate swung back violently, lifted the stand off the ground, then the whole works came crashing down. Most gratifying, but something stouter would be required for frequent practice.

The way I figure it, if you shoot well offhand, then you'll have no problem shooting from the other positions. I've heard it claimed if you can shoot a short barreled iron sighted pistol well offhand, you'll shoot rifles well, but don't know that the argument really holds water.

The 22rf is a good way to warm up at the range, and also for rests between groups with the big bore, or as a flinch detector.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Will, DB,
My wife says I'm forgetting to practice these days, which never used to happen.

one of us
Picture of Nitroman
posted Hide Post
Yeah, yeah, yeah so everyone's the comedian.
Here I put up a post looking forward to seeing what folks like to use at the range. If I had thought it would go this route, I would have put it on the AR boards.

Posts: 1844 | Location: Southwest Alaska | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Roger,
When you're right you're right. My apologies.

Best .... Nick

posted Hide Post
Roger,
I like the "sitting on the right foot" position you mentioned as it is easier to adjust up and down a bit in actual use. When sitting, I always seem to wind up throwing the leg under me at the last minute.

Nick

one of us
Picture of Nitroman
posted Hide Post
To All,
If I gave the impression I was peeved by some of the tongue in cheek posts I was not. I rolled my eyes when I saw them because I am a little slow on the uptake sometimes and didn't realize my question could be read a couple of different ways. With our more cerebral members this was bound to happen.

Nick,
I am no Townsend Whelen so my opinions should be taken with a grain of salt.
I like to shoot off the bench to determine that my rifle is "on", then I must shoot to determine if I am "on". It is a personal challenge of sorts.
I usually try to pick a time to go to the range when there are few people around. Contrary to the belief of some folks who do not understand us heavy rifle afficianados I am sure, I am not into the "mine is bigger than yours" thing.
What is the point I am trying to make?

We who like these rifles need to practice if we are to 1) ethically hunt or 2) not make an ass of ourselves in front of our wives and others. Therefore position(s) which are comfortable to allow enjoyable practice need to be found and perfected.

From what I have read my thoughts are mirrored by the positions others take, in that, one must be able to move with the recoil. I have never tried the "paddy squat" so this is something I will dedicate five rounds to this weekend to see if I can shoot using it.

This I speak from (humorous) experience: I was trying a sitting position with my feet a little closer together to keep a more upright spine. I had my .500. Unfortunately I went to the range when it was literally, "wait in line for a table".
I set up and squirm into position. BOOM! I take the recoil and slowly roll over my A-double-S onto my back. I am proud of having the presence of mind to keep the rifle pointing downrange between my legs, which are sticking up in the air. I roll back up onto my butt, unload my rifle, pack it into the case and leave. I didn't even bother with my targets. I was so embarrassed I wanted to die.

This is why I like to go when no-one is around. I don't use that position by the way.

posted Hide Post
I can't believe you mentioned my "roll-bacK" shot. I have been doing this in the field for years, especially when sitting on an uphill grade and using a heavy rifle.
I have, once or twice, rechambered during the roll-back and the return to battery ( I just love Atkinsons terminology), ready for action. I could care less how I look, as it works well and feels natural. Most of the time, you can keep you eyes on the target too, as impossible as it may sound.

All this takes me back to encouraging young fellas to do some serious woodchuck or rockchuck hunting for a time. You'll discover every imaginable shooting position and field rest and learn to squeeze off in the same deadly way, regardless of caliber. Moreover, you'll come to know what a rifle is capable of, something many otherwise terrific hunters of the heavy timber never come to know. It just serves to make all future hunting that much easier.