THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIG BORE FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Big Bores    .416 Remingto & .458 Win. factory loads

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.416 Remingto & .458 Win. factory loads Login/Join

<Telly>
posted
I was recently reading a popular gun magazine originating on the African continent and in one article the author stated that .416 Rem factory ammo is loaded down from the original specs due to pressure spikes. Additionally, he stated that the .458 is being loaded to higher pressures to achieve 2150 fps and that this is causing pressure problems in the African heat. Both these are supposed to be US manufacturers. Does anyone have any knowledge/experience with this?

Thanks,
Telly

<Don G>
posted
As far as I know the factory 416 Rem is still loaded 400 grains and 2450 fps from a 24 inch barrel.

I have not heard of any pressure problems with the modern 458 loads. There were plenty of stories in the old days, I think it's a bad rap now.

I prefer the 416/400gr at 2400 to the 458/500gr at 2150 personally, but I haven't shot any buffalo yet.

Don

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't mean to be contradictory or rumor mongering, but I think I read on another thread, and perhaps even in huntamerica where Ray posted that there were sticky bolt handles with the 458 shooting the 500 grainer at 2150 fps even today.

As for the 416 rem mag, I have not heard of pressure problems, but if you look at the pressure data you will see it is at maximum to hit 2450 fps with a 400 grain bullet. The advantage of the Rigby is that it reaches that velocity with 30-30 pressures, due to its humungous case. I am not saying the Rem is not a good cartridge, but there are some advantages to size, and the Rigby has an advantage in this instance.

Another thing to consider is the variety of rifles being chambered for these cartridges. The 416 rem is offered in factory rifles by Remington, Winchester and Sako, as well as in custom rifles of innumerable descriptions. Although Rem probably tested the loads in its rifles, some rifles may be made to tighter specs (tighter headspace, shorter throat, tighter bore), giving rise to pressure spikes. But that's what happens when max loads are needed to attain the desired velocity.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That is correct, the Africans are getting pressure with the upgraded loadings in the 458 and many have gone back to using PMC...

We had two incidents and Man Magnum is reporting such incidents, not rumor...

We have not had any problems with the 416, but most everyone handloads the 416 anyway as its so much cheaper..I doubt if you would notice any difference in killing power on the 416 with a slight underload as you would still have sufficient velocity..Not the case with the 458 Win.

I've always wondered how long it would take for the big bore community to grasp the fact that the 458 Win is simply a poorly designed cartridge, and thats all there is to that. If it were not, I would be using it because it is the only 45 that I can shoot comfortably from field position, it is at about my recoil limit, but I don't want to saddle myself with a controversial cartridge because where theres smoke theres fire....

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41875 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
<Norbert>
posted
What is the problem with high pressure in modern bolt actions?
Not exploding rifles, but only sticky bolts.
Bur that is not only and always a feature of the pressure developed by the cartridge. It is the combination of chamber material, it�s surface finish and, most important, the material of the case. This problem is mostly ignored. Change of cases often can solve this problems.

------------------

one of us
posted Hide Post
Norbert,
Your an amazment!!

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41875 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote