THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIG BORE FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Big Bores    Question's about mercury tubes.

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question's about mercury tubes. Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Nishoba01
posted
1. Do they really help reduce recoil? If so then generally speaking what percentage of the felt recoil is reduced?

2. Are mercury tubes only used in wood stock's, or synthetics as well? If they are only used in wood, why are they only used in wood?

3. Can mercury tubes be used in conjuction with a muzzle break, or does the addition of a muzzle break nulify the effects of the merc tubes?

4. Whats are the different sizes and cost's of mercury tubes? Who makes the best quality merc tubes?

Your answers would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
Larry A.< !--color-->

Posts: 98 | Location: Fredericksburg, VA | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

1. Do they really help reduce recoil? If so then generally speaking what percentage of the felt recoil is reduced?

YES. The mercury remains stationary as the gun starts moving backward under recoil. Then the end wall of the mercury tube (moving) slams into the mercury (stationary), slowing down the rearward motion of the rifle. As a result, mercury tubes clearly take the edge off painful recoil.

Quote:

2. Are mercury tubes only used in wood stock's, or synthetics as well? If they are only used in wood, why are they only used in wood?

They are hard to mount in synthetics since the interior of a synthetic stock is usually just light foam.

Quote:

3. Can mercury tubes be used in conjuction with a muzzle break?

YES.

Quote:

4. Whats are the different sizes and cost's of mercury tubes?

Brownell's catalog has a pretty good selection of mercury tubes.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have heard that they make noise when the rifle is moved around, as in carrying it while stalking game. Any experience with this?
Gary T.

Posts: 112 | Location: Eugene, Oregon | Registered: 23 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ACRecurve
posted Hide Post
Gary,

I had a 416 Rigby with 2 mercury reducers in the stock. It sloshed when it was shaken but it was no trouble to keep it quiet when stalking/walking. I have since gone to the Dead Mule reducers--they seem to me to slow the recoil down a bit better than the mercury ones. JMO

Posts: 6711 | Location: Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Spring
posted Hide Post
I have one that I put into my Blaser R93 when I have it configured as a .375 H&H. It is designed to increase the gun's weight by 10 oz and is completely silent inside the gun. It screws into the bolt that connects the stock to the gun's action so it does not slip. Besides that, the actual bit of sound that you can get if you hold the tube in your hand and shake it by your ear is not generated by normal movement of the gun.

Posts: 1445 | Location: Bronwood, GA | Registered: 10 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Nishoba01
posted Hide Post
"Dead Mule reducers"

Are they a type of mercury reducer, or some other form of liquid?

Whats the cost of the Dead Mule?

Thanks
Larry A. < !--color-->

Posts: 98 | Location: Fredericksburg, VA | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Nishoba01
posted Hide Post
So 500grains, would you say a couple of these reducers would be a must have for a .700 H.E.?

one of us
posted Hide Post
I hate them, they ruin the balance of a gun and if you try to counter balance them your adding 20 Oz. to the gun...I'd rather have a `1.5 oz. muzzle brake that works twice as well...But I don't want either if I can help it....

Personally, I like a brake on a a 500 and up...

Posts: 41880 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Larry,

1:YES.. as someone who tests everything, i've done the same weight in lead and tube.. the tube certainly feels better... wasn't a double blind test, though... it SPREADS the recoil over time, as well as weight

2: all stocks, though mounting is easier in wood

3: dont like brakes, can't answer that

4:basically 11 oz, 7/8thx5" can be customed bigger, for rifle stocks

for 50 bucks, and you NEED a butt heavier gun, they are a great idea... BUT if the gun is balanced already, it'll ruin the balance, unless more weight is added to the front.

as for noise, you have to jerk the gun around to get it to slosh...

jeffe

Posts: 38513 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ACRecurve
posted Hide Post
Larry,

The Dead Mule reducers cost about 50 bucks--about the same as the mercury ones. They just use inertia in a different way--a cylinder that moves on some sort on a rod in the middle. That isn't much of an answer--all I know is that my shoulder feels a slower push from recoil in my 458 Lott with the DM than it did with a mercury reducer. Maybe someone else here knows how they actually work........they'll fit in the same size hole as the mercury reducers. And like others have said, any of them will affect the balance of the rifle. Hope this helps.

Posts: 6711 | Location: Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Since this is a custom gun, you can achieve proper balance by going with a heaver barrel contour to balance against the mercury tubes and still have the gun balance out just head of the front mag screw. Putting a mercury tub in the forened also helps to balance the gun out.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote