Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Flat nose bullets Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Baxter: Hat's off to Barnes and your post appreciated,...Used their bullets one Africa hunt...Darned if I can remember...triple shock maybe?...the bullet expanded into "petals"

Seemed to work like an auger.

Anyway, point being that bullet design needs to be a PART of the entire hunt...Penetration, feeding, ejecting, trigger, safety, sights, barrel, stock... Gotta work together. Just can't focus on one part and call it a "done deal".

Posts: 3462 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
The good thing about Cutting Edge Bullets is that they are always available. The fellow that owns the company is also a good fellow and fellow hunter. When all other bullets almost unattainable these last few years…CEBs always there.

I just got back from Africa. Right before I left…I had an issue with the reflex sight on my .500 NE double…and had to re-sight it in and I had just enough ammo to go. Called CEB and they overnighted me some bullets and got them loaded just days before I left. They are good folks. I will get Dan to look at this thread maybe they will bevel the front band.

The feds made Barnes quit making FN solids in .375 because they said they were armor piercing pistol caliber bullets. Don’t know…what I was told.

That said…Michael tested Barnes’ design and it was a starting point for the BBW #13 design. While better than RN…it would not track consistently straight.

I have 2 .458 M 70s I shoot CEB solids through…both feed them like butter as they were made.

The rifle Duane has built is going to be PHs carry rifle for elephant hunts. It will only be shot into game at close range in dire situations or on poorly hit escaping ele at bad angles. Both situations require a bullet that will not fail and will penetrate maximally. It will usually be the one already chambered that saves the day…but…definitely need a reliable rechambering of the next round.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36636 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Based on the data, and my own experience, I now prefer Barnes Banded FN Solids.

Would I hesitate to use a Woodleigh RN solid?

Based on my own experience with them, which is not the same as the wider data, absolutely not.

I would use them, too, without hesitation.

I have not seen them veer off target after impact.

I don't doubt that they may do so from time to time, but I have not seen it in actual practice.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13396 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have yet to have a solid to fail in any way and have used them more than most...I like GS Customs flat nose solids, Woodleighs old RN solids, cup points, and North forks..I suggest were overthinking a none existing problem, much like the grip safety on a 1911! nilly

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ray,

I agree. Grew up with a grip safety on a 1911 and never saw it as a problem. Solids are meant for elephants and the small stuff. Never had much other use for them.

Posts: 10032 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The only complaint I have noticed is from gunsmiths? go figure! Big Grin

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote