THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIG BORE FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Big Bores    96/44 or old Deerslayer Ruger 44 mag Carbine

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

96/44 or old Deerslayer Ruger 44 mag Carbine Login/Join

one of us
Picture of PWN375
posted
I need some input on these rifles. Do they have acceptable hunting accuracy scoped, say 2 inches at 100 yards? Is the recoil too stiff for novice shooters and 10 and 12 year old children? Are they dependable and durable?

Perry

Posts: 1144 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A friend had one, it seems to work OK. I don't think you will see 2" but you will probably see 4" or less. Never take one apart unless you know what you are doing, you won't get it back together. Recoil is low, ..........they are neat but I would not get in a dither about finding and buying one. A Marlin or Winchester 30-30 is a better deer gun and a bunch cheaper. If it is "for the kids" they won't care. I would prefer the exposed hammer for less experienced hunters. That will let you keep an eye on them better. The more I think about it, a Marlin 30-30 with a low powered scope may leave little to be desired for a begining hunter.

Posts: 813 | Location: Left Coast | Registered: 02 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have the deerfield carbine in 44 mag and its a fun gun to shoot. I would say 3-4" is about right but mine is equipped with a bsa red dot. I have shot many coyotes with it and it is just fun to plink around with. It would also be a pretty good hog gun. I have stripped mine down several times and if you follow the manual it is a snap. I have also let a friend of mine's 10 year old shoot it and he had a ball.

Posts: 176 | Location: Tulsa, OK | Registered: 17 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
PWN - Recoil is not an issue. And as others have advised, there are much better choices for a deer rifle for the same amount of money. A 30/30 would be a quantum leap ahead. Get the Tracker model if you really want something short and easy to carry.

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
i have an old carbine in the 44 mag. out to a 100 yds, it is a great brush gun for deer and hogs. as a matter of fact, both deer and the hog that i shot w/ it seemed to think it was plenty enough gun to sweep them off their feet- although i don't think they would describe it as love! it is definetly a cool little gun

one of us
posted Hide Post
I used to hunt with one quite a bit,until I got an old Remington pump with the 16" barrell. Much better gun!!! Until I got the Remington I did not realize how horrible the Ruger's trigger really was.

Posts: 74 | Location: Sunrise,Florida | Registered: 27 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Perry
My first deer rifle was a Ruger 44 Deerslayer Carbine. I have had a Marlin and now have a Winchester 44 Mag rifle.
Out to 125 yards the longest shot I ever made with the Ruger, it kills deer way better than its ballistics would suggest. I always used 240 grain bullets in the Ruger, the heaviest available at the time. Now I think the 270 Speer would make a good carbine load for big pigs and black bear.
It shoots better at 100 yards in the Winchester than the 240 grain bullets. The Ruger was my favorite of the 3 rifles. My brother just bought a old model Ruger 44 but I have not shot it yet.
If you are a 44 mag revolver shooter a 44 rifle is a handy gun to have around.

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote