Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

416 taylor Login/Join

one of us
posted
Anybody shooting a 416 taylor. I am thinking about building one. I would like your thoughts.

Posts: 19366 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
<bigdog>
posted
P dog,

Go to the links page and check out the 416 Taylor web page. Some good info can be found there. I have contacted most of the powder and bullet people for data but not too much can be found. The old AA book has some info on the 411 KDF which can be used for beginning loads.

I am in the process of building one on a Ruger M77 action tang safety model. Just need to decide which smith I should have do it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
bigdog thanks I thinking of a stainless ruger mk 2 action.

Posts: 19366 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BW
posted Hide Post
p dog shooter,

I've been doing some more load development with my rifle lately. Mostly with North Fork bullets, in 325grs.

I've given up on the 400gr Nosler Partitions in my rifle. They just won't group under 6 inches! But, the last load, did almost reach 2400fps with a healthy (but not dangerous) load of H4895. That info will be used with some 400gr Hornady RN's soon.

Seems that the Ruger MkII is a very popular rifle for this conversion. I haven't heard anything negative about it yet. I think the reason for using the Ruger, is the lack of left-handed rifles from Winchester. And of course, all the old Mausers were right-handed too.

The bulletin board on my site has gotten harder to use. Even I get frustrated at it! I tried to post the other day, and got nothing but a bunch of "pop up ads". I'll keep searching for a better board.

Of course, Saeeds board here, is the fasted one I've found!

------------------
Brian
The 416 Taylor WebPage!

Posts: 778 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
PDS,
I shot the 416 Chatfield Taylor for a few years until Remington came out with the 416 Remington, then I deep sixed the Taylor...

That less than a 1/4" of bolt travel is a trivial thing and I can buy 416 Rem ammo in any store in Africa or Alaska...And I can shoot circles around the Taylor, so to speak..

If I wanted a short case I'd use one of the new non-belted ones like the RUM or the 300 WSM..

I just never was impressed with the Taylor in 375 or 416....mostly because I am not all that disatisfied with mag lenth actions......

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BW
posted Hide Post
Geez Ray,

Just 'cause your right, don't mean ya have to pee on my fire.

Really though, you may recall the reason I built the Taylor, was do to the lack of left-handed, stainless steel, "magnum length", Winchester M70's. At least at my price range, anyhow.

I had asked about opening up my M70 Classic to accept a 375H&H, but got some negative feedback. Then later, after I had already built the Taylor, I learned that perhaps I could of had a 375H&H built on the 300 Win Mag action.

Now it's too late for this rifle. But, if I ever buy another donor rifle (lh, stainless) I'll try the 375H&H route.

Have I ever asked you about sharing some 416 Taylor load data? Feel free to e-mail me, if you'd like to contribute.

thanks

------------------
Brian
The 416 Taylor WebPage!

one of us
Picture of 470 Mbogo
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by BW:
The thing with the Ruger is they don't allow you any extra magazine box room to build a 416 Remington and if you already have the rifle and would like a 416 Taylor then go for it. Your only giving up 50 to 70 fps. So whats the difference if Ray shoots his Moose at 100 yds. and you shoot yours at 50 the Moose still gets hit with the same terminal velocity. Just get closer laddy.
I have a 416 Taylor on a tang saftey Ruger with a 24 inch barrel and with reloader 15 powder I can reach 2400 fps using Hornady 400 grain round nose bullets. The accuracy is consistently within a inch to an inch and a quarter and the gun weighs in at 9lbs with a scope. I've shot two Moose with it and it is devestating. Work your way up to seventy eight and a half grains of Reloader 15 using safe reloading practices and common sense and see how your Taylor reacts. 470 Mbogo

Posts: 1247 | Location: Sechelt B.C. | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I too have a 416 Taylor,on a Mauser,22" bbl.
Rifle weighs under 10 lb. with scope,sling and 3 rounds in. I haven't shot it much as I'm waiting for dies. I'm using a set I made at the moment bot 2300-2350 seems to be where we're at with 400gr. bullets and 4895. I'm sure that whatever one hits with it will be
down. Mark

Posts: 109 | Location: Sask.Ca | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BW
posted Hide Post
470 Mbogo,

I may have gotten confused by your post, but I already have a 416 Taylor built on a left-handed, stainless steel, Winchester M70 "Classic". It's still sporting the original Winchester wood stock. But after it cracked, I had it pillar bedded, and one cross bolt installed. It's been fine since, even without a second recoil lug installed.

Without looking at my notes, I recall reaching 75grs of Rl-15 with no pressure signs (400gr Hornady RN's also.) Still, that was the highest published load I could find (A-Square) and was relucant to go higher. This load was averageing 2375fps. So, I do believe, there is room for a couple more grains. I was using Remington brass, but now have switched to Winchester, which is thinner, and may help hold down pressures.

Interesting point about the Ruger MkII magazines! I will remember to mention that to folks in the future. I just recently thought about removing the magazine block in my M70. That, and of course adjusting the bolt stop and ejector. Then I could seat my bullets even longer (this rifle has a genrous throat) for reduced pressure and maybe increased accuracy. My rifle has never been a real "tack driver". But 1.5 inches at 100 yards is good enough for most dangerous game.

Thanks for the input! I know we've discussed this before. Right? Anyhow, like Ray, I would love to see any 416 Taylor you'd be willing to share!

------------------
Brian
The 416 Taylor WebPage!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Taylor built on the tang safty Ruger. It has a 24 inch bbl and for the type of gun that it is I can group an inch ti 1 1/4 with 300gr Barns X fueled by 67gr og IMR 3031. This powder seems to work the best but I don't see anyone else using it.

Posts: 536 | Location: Mid Michigan | Registered: 02 January 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Rich,

Why are you shooting such a 'light' bullet in your .416? (That's not an indictment, just a question)

George

------------------
Shoot straight, shoot often, but by all means, use enough gun!

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BW
posted Hide Post
Rich,

I have tried IMR 3031 in my rifle, but it didn't give me the best results. I certainly could go back, and try it again, but once I had good results with Rl-15, I didn't experment much more.

Going back through my notes, I see that I tried it with 400gr Hornady RN's and wrote down 2350fps. Not bad, but not accurate. I also tried it with Nosler Partitions, which is not a fair test, because those bullets never shot accurately in my rifle.

I've got a partial box of older Barnes X 300gr bullets. They don't have a cannelure, so I think the may be the older "more prone to fouling" bullets. I have had good luck with 325gr "X" bullets.

------------------
Brian
The 416 Taylor WebPage!

<R. A. Berry>
posted
I am very fond of the 416 Taylor in a Ruger Mark II stainless Model 77.

It is a very efficient and accurate cartridge.

My 26" Shilen stainless barrel (#4 sporter with 1 in 14" twist) gave excellent velocities and sub MOA three shot groups with two loads:

IMR 3031 and 300 grain X bullets at 2700 fps.

RL 15 and 400 grain Hornady RNSP's at 2425 fps.

I don't recall the charges, but one can always start low and work up.

I consider it the perfect Kodiak bear and deer rifle, adequate for anything on this planet. It can sure beat Ray's anemic 404 loads.

------------------
Good huntin' and shootin',
RAB

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Brian,

If you remove the magazine block the easiest way to adjust the bolt stop and ejector is just contact Winchester and get a new one designed for the 300wby. They are just a few bucks and a heck of a lot easier than reshaping the old ones.

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Ramrod,
They never chambered the M-70 in .300Wby for lefties, the bastards I expect that the one for a LH .375 will work though.

George

------------------

[This message has been edited by GeorgeS (edited 08-22-2001).]

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
George the reason for the light loads is that there is a shortage of cape buffalo here in Mich. but there is an abundance of white tail deer. I use this in the thick cedar swamps of our upper pennisula. I will also use it for a Mich. elk hunt this winter. I would like to find a softer bullet in the 300 to 325 weight range for deer as the X bullet really doesn't open up much.

Posts: 536 | Location: Mid Michigan | Registered: 02 January 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Rich,

There is an outfit somewhere in upstate NY that makes all sorts of bullets; they may be able to set you up with what your looking for, at reasonable cost.

Northern Precision Bullets (315)593-1711

George

------------------

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
George.
Sorry must have missed the reference to the left handed action. The answer is yes the one for the 375 would work. I've even just bought a new magazine box without the spacer.

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks George I'll check them out. I'm also experimenting with the Hawk bullet.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Rich
The Speer 350 would be great for deer. I worked up to 2600 FPS with aa 2520 powder.25" barrel and a 1-16 twist. I shot a nice boar hog with this bullet at 2200 FPS and expansion was violent,4"X 5". I am working on the 325 Gr X bullets.

Posts: 280 | Location: SARASOTA , FL. | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
RAB,

Ha! you gotta come up with 228 FPS and 7 thousands to just equal my old .404!!

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
<R. A. Berry>
posted
Now Ray,
You know you only load the 404 that hot to show off. I know you keep your quid in your cheek by loading to sub-416 Taylor ballistics and bagging buffalo with the anemic load.

BTW, keep up the good work, and pay the safari companies in a timely manner. Don't sit on the bank deposits too long, as other agents are rumored to do.

I will book with you if I can ever afford to do that again. A safari company owner I know said he had switched to you as his agent recently. I dropped your name on his ears while I was over there, after hearing him grumble about someone else. If I can be of any assistance in giving you a recent customer report on any operations let me know.

------------------
RAB

one of us
posted Hide Post
RA,
You know to much, I'm gonna have to arrange for you to sleep with the fishes!!

Brian,
I sent all my load development to someone on this forum or hunt America as opposed to copying it down for them, didn't figure I'd need it again..maybe they will read this and sign in...

It seems to me IMR4064 and 4895 was the best of powders, but thats been awhile...I also shot the 375 Taylor a good deal and it duplicated the 375 H&H...the 416 was about 50 to a 100 FPS behind the 416 Rem which amounts to zilch with a 400 gr. bullet..

I see no reason for you not to rechamber to 416 something or other on that action..I think you could still go to a 416 Rem or Dakota if you wanted to....

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

<R. A. Berry>
posted
Ray,
I wear a size 12 E in cement overshoes. Smile when you say that or I will really spill the beans.

------------------
RAB