THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIG BORE FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Big Bores    What do you guys think about a 71' in 50-110

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What do you guys think about a 71' in 50-110 Login/Join

one of us
posted
guy at the show today was asking 2500 bucks for a Winchester 71' converted to 50-110 (by local shop, I know them, they are reputable and usually do good work, in fact I have 3 rifles in the safe they built or chambered).

Is this enough for M'bogo? Big Grin Kidding!!!

seriously though, what do you all think abuot this, can that action handl that round? Is the 50-110 interesting?

Red

My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them.
-Winston Churchill

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's how I built mine. I was never going to have the $$$ for an original 1886 in 50-110, so I bought a really rat M71 that had had 3" cut off of the butt stock and a cheesy red ventilated pad attached, and the barrel cut back to 16". I went artillery piece with mine, 30" full octagon barrel and full length magazine tube. 3X wood, the standard reaction is "holy jeez, how long is that thing..." followed by " who did that?", followed by "nice! can I shoot it?". The 50-110 is actually three bullet weight loadings.
First is the 50-292-110, then the 50-350-105 and lastly the 50-450-100: bullet weight followed by black powder load. Winchester loaded a 300gr copper jacketed bullet over 1850fps for a while after the turn of the century.
I would be relying heavily on a PH for back up hunting buffalo with a 20" barrelled carbine in 50-110 and a 300gr solid about 1800-1900fps. Anything but the Big Three and it would be the cat's ass!

Rich
DRSS
Lever action fool!

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rich

Who did you have do the work? And if you don't mind my asking, how much did the work cost? This sounds like an interesting project.

Mike Chamberlain

DRSS Member

Posts: 96 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 17 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
The model 71 does well in 50 Alaskan

.If it can,t be grown , its gotta be mined ....

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 50 Alaskan I would think a simpler conversion, as the original caliber was a .348 which is the parent cartridge for the 50 AK. I have a gunsmith friend who has done a ton of Marlins in the 50.

A shot not taken is always a miss

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
a local guy in Boise, Idaho. Including the $400 for the rat 71 I'm in it about $1400...a fair amount of wheeling and dealing involved. That's a real fun part of the deal for me... It's just such a cannon play with. dancing I also built a 50-110 on a HiWall action, had to get my money's worth out of buying that reamer, eh? A buddy shot it one time, and beat me out of a spare HiWall and Badger barrel I had laying around and built a lighter one to hunt with. His goes about eleven pounds with iron sights. My HW has a 34" long 1 3/8ths octagon barrel and with sights comes in just under the NRA Long Range Match weight limit of 15lbs. You do know that Doug Turnbull is building complete rifles don't you on the new 1886 Replicas...? I know of an '86 replica for sale/trade if you would like a "pretty" one to redo. A guy in town has one of the Montana Centennial Statehood 26" barrel rifles he is trying to move.
My suggestion, if you want one: call Turnbull and get his conversion price. Check with your local guy as well on his charges. If you decide to do that, let me know and I'll see what this guy wants for his Montana rifle.

Rich
DRSS
admitted '86 junkie

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
jstevens,

you are correct sir, but, the 348 is a necked down 50-110.

Rich
DRSS
and big winchester leverrifles