Find
Notify
Tools

Beltless 50 caliber ? Login/Join

one of us
Picture of bluetick
posted
Gentlemen

Is there a 50 caliber on the 416 Rigby? In other words a belt less 500 A-Square? Or does it need the belt to headspace on?

Shawn

Posts: 773 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Quote some time ago there was a poster on HuntAmerica that was some type of gunsmith that was involved with big banger rifles and pistols and he was promoting a 505 on the 416 Rigby so I suppose 510 would be OK.

If you necked the 416 up to 550 (since that is what the 460 goes out to) and then ran the necked up case though your 416/50 die you should be OK.

Mike

Posts: 7206 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think the 510 Wells is about that, (could be wrong about the name). I have a dummy here, and it seems to have plenty of shoulder to headspace on. The brass was blown out in a fireform barrel, and the body taper is minimal. Basicly, the 500 A2 beltless.

Posts: 135 | Location: Grants Pass, OR | Registered: 07 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Somebody is playing hanky panky with your brass if your .510 wells does not have a belt, since it is just a necked up 460 weatherby.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I believe our Scandanavian friends have such an animal based upon the 338 Lapua case. It would essentially be a scaled up 30 Carbine. If I were you I would simply get a 495 A Square and live with the belt. It really doesn't do anything bad anyway, and does at least one good thing (reliable headspacing).

ASS_CLOWN

Posts: 1673 | Location: MANY DIFFERENT PLACES | Registered: 14 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In effect, you're looking for a .500/.416 Krieghoff, without the rim.

Looking at the .450 Dakota and its tiny shoulder, how would a .50/.416 headspace?

CPS

one of us
posted Hide Post
The 505 Gibbs and the 500 Jefferys are both beltless 50 caliber rifles, been with us for a 100 years or so....So has the 416 Rigby necked up to 50 caliber....Many have laid claim to that one, but the English did that the year it was made...

Posts: 41893 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Oldsarge
posted Hide Post
And the Gibbs will soon be a factory (CZ) chambering. Think of all the money you could save!

Posts: 2690 | Location: Lakewood, CA. USA | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was afraid I was wrong about the name. The dummy I have is a 416 Rigby blown out and improved like a 500 A2. It is basicly a beltless 500 A2. I wonder what the correct name is. Its been a while since I got it, and there was a 510 wells floating around at the same time. Help me, Help me, I've been hypnotized.

Posts: 135 | Location: Grants Pass, OR | Registered: 07 September 2003Reply With Quote