Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger 375/ Kimber 375/SCI Login/Join

one of us
posted
I looked at the Ruger 375 Hawkeye/African at SCI. Not bad for a rifle at this price point, except for a few things. The bolt was binding at the rear portion of the bolt travel.Had the lawyer warning on the top of the barrel, the Ruger logo "engraved" on the floorplate looked cheesy. It seemed really light for a cartridge of this class, methinks it is going to kick like a rented mule. Inquiries regarding ammo were met "very soon" sorts of responses. I told them if it really was an "African" they should chamber it for a true African round like the 9.3x62. I got a lukewarm response for tossing in my $0.02 worth.

On the other end of the scale, the Kimber 375 was just beautiful, they got this one right. Price around $3500 or so. Good job Kimber!

Posts: 1051 | Registered: 02 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I though Kimber would "do it right" but it sounds pricy. You can get a Semi custom made to your specs for about the same.

"shoot quick but take your time"

Posts: 451 | Location: drummond island MI USA | Registered: 03 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
My personal Take on the two is that the Kimber was too heavy and way too thick for a serious carrying rifle while I loved the new Ruger.
I'm sure the Kimber will do just fine for the average Safari hunter who rides the Toyota most of the day and was nice to look at but the Ruger was slim, trim and light and is one I look foreward to carrying this next season.Hornady should be shipping ammo this week.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4198 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Phil,

you are that one in a thousand that can shoot a lightweight thumper accurately. Add rubber boots (inside joke) and one in two thousand!! Besides, you cheat; you're in pretty good physical shape.

Rich
DRSS

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Kimbers at SCI were prototypes. I was told they are heavier than they will be in production (the prototypes didn't have chambers and would have a lightening process done to the stock.)

Aaron

Posts: 174 | Location: Utah | Registered: 15 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
I am also not that big so recoil doesn't bother me as much a a big man - which is why one of these days flyweight boxers will rule the heavyweight division.
Seriously though, offhand, while shooting at game, I have never noticed a big rifle recoiling. My daughter Tia, who weighs 115 pounds and carries a 7 1/2 pound 416 Rem, w/o "sissy slots" ( as she calls them) claims she never feels recoil when shooting at game.
From the bench we have enough sense to place a ten pound bag of lead shot between us and the big rifles.

Recoil last but a fraction of a second while gravity last forever.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4198 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of rik
posted Hide Post
Phil, Re: your remarks about the 375 Rug, I hunt moose in northern BC not far from your neck of the woods. I know I don't need anything bigger than a 338 for moose but the griz population is really increasing and there are more unpleasant incidents every year. Just 2 weeks ago forestry workers were mauled by a griz out of it's den near Grande Prairie. Over the last 20 years moose, elk and caribou hunters have suffered increasing injury and mortality from griz while dressing out or carrying out their kill. Reference press and Gary Skelton's excellent books. My question to you: Do you think 375 (H&H of Ruger)is sufficient for stopping a griz charge at close range while dressing or packing out moose? I had been leaning to getting a 416 Rem before the 375 Rug announcement. I know 458 Win is great but would prefer something flatter shooting for the moose.

Posts: 38 | Location: Coquitlam, BC | Registered: 13 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My I suggest the 416 Rigby, it is a tested charge stopper.

Posts: 35 | Location: Murfreesboro, Tn | Registered: 02 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 458Win:
My personal Take on the two is that the Kimber was too heavy and way too thick for a serious carrying rifle while I loved the new Ruger.
I'm sure the Kimber will do just fine for the average Safari hunter who rides the Toyota most of the day and was nice to look at but the Ruger was slim, trim and light and is one I look foreward to carrying this next season.Hornady should be shipping ammo this week.

NOW! Gentlemen the above is a a endorsement from a man who will use the rifle for getting into the tight alders with 1000 lb Brown bears! That's good enough for me! RUGER IT IS! thumb

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How did ya'll like the flat silver color of the Ruger .375 African bolt?

Posts: 431 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: 29 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brain1
posted Hide Post
I like the rifle. I handled it at a wholesalers show earlier this week in Reno. The jury is still out on the cartridge. I think it will not last long as a production round. There are too many new cartridges for the market to bear.

You can borrow money, but you can't borrow time. Don't wait, go now.
Savannah Safaris Namibia
Otjitambi Trails & Safaris
DRSS
NRA
SCI
DSC
TSRA
TMPA

Posts: 1241 | Location: Bridgeport, Tx | Registered: 20 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
rik, a .375 either H&H or Ruger will flatten any griz alive, given proper bullet placement. A .416 or .458 is more of a good thing as far as stopping is concerned. However, the increased stopping comes at a price, ie. increased weight and recoil. In 1998 I killed a 9'8" roughly 950 lb. Kamchatka brown bear with a .416 Remington. The Swift A-Frames made quick work of that bear, who by the way, was pretty PO'd at the time. The other hunters in camp had .375's and they reported similar results.

Geronimo

Posts: 816 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of rik
posted Hide Post
Thanks dad11345 and Geronomo,
I think I will go with the .375 Ruger in the Ruger Hawkeye Alaskan version when it becomes available. Not sure if the metal is stainless or what but looks like it is set up for all weather and a stiff and not too light 20" barrel should pack and shoot decent. Also the integral scope mount puts nothing in the way of the iron sights making them actually useful when scope is off as it will be when not in "use for moose"(can't help it, I'm a poet)

Posts: 38 | Location: Coquitlam, BC | Registered: 13 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Can somone explaine the theory behind the 375 Ruger cartridge? As I understand it it is the same ballistice as a H&H in an '06 length action. I know in Rem and Win the H&H action is the same length as the '06 with just a different bolt stop so the bolt can ride further back so the action will not be any small so what is the real advantage?

Posts: 144 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 18 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
I like the rifle, mine an African Hawkeye. I talked to the Ruger and Hornady people at SCI and they say there was a deal to realease rifles and ammo at the same time, but there was a bit of miscommunication. I did get a box of 270 gr. Hornady ammo Friday.

Measuring one of the loaded (unfired) cases I got:

LOA 3.249"
case 2.569"
rim .527"
head .527"
shoulder .509"

Ballistics on the box:

muzzle 2,840 fps
100 yards +1.8"
200 0.0
300 -8.0"
400 -23.6"
500 -48.2"

jim

if you're too busy to hunt,you're too busy.

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jim,

Let us know what the old girl does across a chrono when you can.

one of us
posted Hide Post
.527" is a pretty sloppy tolerance (minus .005") on a case that is supposed to be .532" max spec, eh?

I'll be looking for ammo soon.

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote