THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIG BORE FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Big Bores    Sako 995 in .375 H & H - Fiberclass?

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sako 995 in .375 H & H - Fiberclass? Login/Join

posted
Dear Sirs,

I am looking to aquire my first bolt action rifle in .375 H & H. I was impressed with the accuracy and pretty much everything else of a friends new Sako 75 in the same caliber. I have seen a couple of Sako m995's available on the net at fair prices and wonder if anyone has any experiences/information/opinions on the 995s.

The ones I have seen have a black composite stock on them which I understand was designed/built by McMillan Stocks and offered as the Fiberclass line.

Any information/feedback would be greatly appreciated.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The rifle that I hunt with most of the time is a 995 in 375 H&H. I have had it for over 10 years and has taken everything from red flanked duiker to 2 elands. I have found it to be extremely accurate and dependable.

Mike

Posts: 1851 | Location: Prairieville,Louisiana, USA | Registered: 09 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
axg,

I have two 995s, one in 25-06 and one in 338 Lapua and hunted with them for 3-4 years. I really like the stocks on them, they have a better "feel" to them than most others out there (nice palm swell, don't feel like tupperware) and both rifles are very accurate. You will need to replace the factory pad with a good Decelerator and adjust the trigger (you can do it yourself). The magazines are expensive but I always get a couple of spares...

The feeding of my 25-06 has been flawless, but my Lapua can choke on rounds that have deformed tips (this situation is not limited to this rifle!). The detachable magazine debate is for you to decide. Make sure the mag is secured (push down the rear of the mag first and then make sure the front "snicks" into place) but once you get the system down it is fine. Note that you cannot "refill" the mag without removing it from the rifle.

I really like these rifles, and have contemplated getting one in 375 as you are, but I am in the fixed magazine, CRF phase of my obsesssion right now. If you buy one, make sure you get a good deal on one like the $650 on GA and don't pay $1200 like some others are trying to get. Bottom line, I don't think you will be dissapointed in a Sako 995, especially if you get it at a decent price. For $650 this is a lot of rifle and you can be sure it will be a great shooter.

John

Posts: 831 | Location: Mount Vernon, WA | Registered: 18 November 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
MLindsay & JKS - Thanks for the feedback. I just aquired one today. JKS, it's funny you should mention you are in a CRF/fixed magazine phase. After confirming the purchase of the Sako, I had this sudden overwhelming desire to build up a DGR off a pre-64 action in .416 Rigby. What's up with that?

So much for my argument with the Mrs. that by purchasing a .375 H&H, I would never need any other rifle.

Thanks again.