New
Find
Notify
Tools

sights and brake Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hi,

What would be a good set of adjustable sights and a removable muzzle brake? Is there a "off the shelve" removable muzzle brake for a 510 caliber rifle or it must be custom made? Is Wells Sport Store easy to deal with? How about McGowen Rifle Barrels, do they do good work? Any info will be greatly appreciated.

I am serious thinking about building either a 510 Wells or a 500 A-Square so I need as much info as I can find it.

Thanks!
Ming

Posts: 1002 | Location: Midwest USA | Registered: 01 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Before you get too far down the road with your project there are some "different" laws that apply to rifles that are .50 caliber and above. Be careful!

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
I am building one now for the 500 Jeffery. I know of no "off the shelf" brake for 50 cal. Brownells does offer brakes that can be drilled & reamed out to the appropriate caliber but the OD & barrel thread size is too small & does not allow them to be drilled out to the large calibers. I can build you a brake if you wish. It's hard to do better than N.E.C.G. sights if you want iron.

------------------
NRA Life member

[This message has been edited by Bear Claw (edited 12-11-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Bear Claw (edited 12-11-2001).]

Posts: 8346 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Bear Claw,

Are you a machinist or something? How would you go about building one?

Hey Bill,

What laws are you talking about man? A 510 Wells or a 500 A-Square should not be much more worst than a brakeless 460 WB if loaded on the "mild" side. Hell, I think my 500 Linebaugh revolver would probably recoil more heavily in my hand than a 500 A-Square would on my shoulder.

Thanks!
Ming

Posts: 1002 | Location: Midwest USA | Registered: 01 September 2001Reply With Quote
<Bill Tompkins>
posted
ming,

Wells Sports Store is very easy to deal with. Dan Pedersen is the barrel maker and can be reached at (928)445-3655 after 10AM Mountain Time, that's in between Central and Pacific this time of year. Muzzle brakes and sights are part of the rifle, we build anything that is needed.

Bill
www.cutrifle.com

one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Yes I am a machinest/gunsmith. My muzzle brakes are built from a solid round bar of either 4140 cm or 316 ss using a lathe and drill press or milling machine. Please forgive me but I can't type out the whole procedure here. I type with two fingers & It would take me all day to type.

------------------
NRA Life member

[This message has been edited by Bear Claw (edited 12-13-2001).]

Posts: 8346 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ming,

Rifles over .50 caliber tend to be what the ATF and the feral law call "destructive devices."

How do you measure? What's the law? I would find these out for SURE before proceeding. You can probably get a free copy of the law by calling the ATF, if that's your idea of a good time.

Maybe someone else knows the address of their web site, and will post it here.

Posts: 2272 | Location: PDR of Massachusetts | Registered: 23 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you go to the SCI convention, you will find that the place is packed with rifles over "50 caliber". There must be some exception for sporting/hunting arms.

And what about all those semi-auto and bolt action 50 BMG rifles? They are sold over the counter just like a Remington 700.

And what about shotgun barrels with rifling in them for slugs? A 12 gauge is .750 caliber.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
Bear Claw,

Which NECG iron sights do you like?...thanks...jim

------------------
"if you are to busy to
hunt, you are too busy."

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Personaly I like the Masterpiece banded front ramp with interchangable beads & the Masterpiece or the Classic rear sight.

------------------
NRA Life member

<Bill Tompkins>
posted
All,

The website is: www.atf.treas.gov
Right off the top of my head I do not remember which sections cover this activity, but it is listed and I have read it.

Fred has had an FFL since FFL's were required and has been building .510 caliber rifles forever. This includes the 50 BMG and all of the other "smaller" cartridges. So whatever hesitations that are being posted are curious to me. Besides, there is also the 600 NE and the very much more modern 700 NE. Not to worry, the Federal Government says that it is O.K.

Bill

one of us
Picture of 500nitro
posted Hide Post
Bruce McArthur in Clarkston, Mi. makes great recoil reducers. 248-625-3333

Posts: 1069 | Location: Durban,KZN, South Africa | Registered: 16 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
if I wanted this work done I would use our own Bill Tompkins or John Ricks, they can do that kind of work with a pocket knife and a fingernail file.

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41894 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
<noabitaboutalot>
posted
I think DBBill is correct about the ATF classification. Anything with a groove diameter larger than .500" is considered a "destructive device" and subject to additional ATF controls. A 50 BMG, even though it has a bullet diameter greater than .500", has a groove diameter less than .500", and is therefore NOT a DD. Check out SSk's website www.sskindustries.com, they make reference to the proper ATF paperwork for the production of large calibers such as 600 Nitros, etc.

Bill

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes the 700NE is labeled as a destructive device, but only to the shooter's shoulder of course.

Posts: 593 | Location: My computer. | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote