THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIG BORE FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Big Bores    Pre-64 Winchester Model 70 375 H&H

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pre-64 Winchester Model 70 375 H&H Login/Join

One of Us
posted
This topic has probably been around several times but I was not looking then. I talked to a guy I know pretty well today and he wants to sell several pre-64 Model 70s from his collection. He is getting on in years and his kids are not interested in hunting or shooting. The one that sounded interesting was the 375 H&H. It comes with a VARI-X 2-7 Leupold scope with some kind of custom mounting system. I am not sure of much more than that but believe that it would be in excellent shape with few rounds through it. What is it worth? I would like to have some kind of price range before I get serious about it. Hope some one can give me some advice. Thanks!
John

Posts: 154 | Location: Ohio, USA | Registered: 10 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In my neck of the woods, which happens to be your neck of the woods, $2400 with scope, give or take a couple hundred.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
From what I have seen, that rifle is worth between $1000 and $2500, unless it is a supergrade and then up to $4K. But it all depends on condition.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I was going to say that any of them capable of being converted to a classic big bore...say 404 or such...couldn't be worth more than $400....and I'll take 2 of them. Roll Eyes

But...back to reality...the $2400 isn't far from about right.

Grab it and run.

Gary
DRSS
NRA Lifer

Posts: 1970 | Location: NE Georgia, USA | Registered: 21 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Robgunbuilder
posted Hide Post
offer 2K and go up to $2200. Assuming its mint!-Rob

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers to do incredibly stupid things- AH (1941)- Harry Reid (aka Smeagle) 2012
Nothing Up my sleeves but never without a plan and never ever without a surprise!

Posts: 6314 | Location: Las Vegas,NV | Registered: 10 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
If the "custom mounting system" includes a few holes in the side of the receiver you can knock several hundred off the price.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I saw "excellent shape with few rounds through it" I missed "some kind of custom mounting system". I'd have to agree that would knock off a good chunk if there are extra holes.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks a lot for the information. He did mention that it was some kind of sidemount affair that cost him about $1200 to have install by an out of state gunsmith. It is still on the rifle. I am not familiar with this concept. Can you fill me in on what it might be.
John

one of us
posted Hide Post
Possibly a Griffin and Howe which was offered for that period. I don't feel they knock anything off if they were not butchered on.
Frank

Posts: 6935 | Location: hydesville, ca. , USA | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
For pricing you can check Gunsamerica or Dave Riffle online to get an idea on what they are going for. If it is a side mount system then Frank is probably right that it is a Griffin & Howe which was probaly the best "return to zero" scope mount of it's day and would not detract from the value if it was put on correctly except to a purist. If he'll take $1500 for it PM me! If he has other calibers, PM me anyway. Razzer

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3828 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blacktailer:
For pricing you can check Gunsamerica or Dave Riffle online to get an idea on what they are going for. If it is a side mount system then Frank is probably right that it is a Griffin & Howe which was probaly the best "return to zero" scope mount of it's day and would not detract from the value if it was put on correctly except to a purist. If he'll take $1500 for it PM me! If he has other calibers, PM me anyway. Razzer

I really like the G&H mounts for myself, but I have found they hurt the price quite a lot in most cases.

Posts: 1700 | Location: USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AfricanHunter:
I really like the G&H mounts for myself, but I have found they hurt the price quite a lot in most cases.

Depends on the rifle, but yeah, they usually seriously reduce value, especially on something like a pre-'64 M70. Once they've been cut up for that thing, cleaning up the mess is often impractical.

The G & H sidemount was never "the best 'return to zero' scope mount of it's day". The claw mount was the best long before G & H came along, and still is today.
------------------------------------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

Posts: 1742 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some great information. I hope to talk to my friend in the next couple of weeks, I will let you know what comes up. Thanks again,
John

One of Us
posted Hide Post
One in very good original condition will sell for $2000+/-200. Winnie guns don't like anything custom on these, and only Parker Bros crowd is worse in this respect.

One of Us
Picture of bulldog563
posted Hide Post
He doesn't happen to have a 338WM he wants to sell does he?

Posts: 2153 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 23 October 2005Reply With Quote