THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIG BORE FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Big Bores    Fired the new 416 today. Wow!

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fired the new 416 today. Wow! Login/Join

<Mike Brown>
posted
Well. I got an education in "Newtons" today.
Fired my first DGR.
We test fired the 416Rem Mag John Ricks built for me. Pac-Nor stainless barrel, M700 stainless action, we stuck it in a HS precision stock for testing purposes.
Fired the Speer 350 Mag tips first and grouped 2 inch, then a 1 1/2". I could see that using all the ammo I loaded was unlikely, so went to the 410 grain Woodleigh softs. At 100 yards, the first group was .57" and I ain`t lying! After 4 groups were fired, I could wait no longer, and tried a 350 grainer on the 300 yard gong(6 x 12) and hit it first, second and third try, but the third shot broke the log chain holding it.
I figured I would see how my luck would hold up and took a potshot at the 400 yard gong (6 x 16) and whacked it first try too, so decided to quit while I was ahead, and still ambulatory.

Here`s the comical part: Being as I sent 4 scopes off for repair or tweaking last week, and didn`t want to use target scopes, I stole the daughter`s scope from her Ruger 10-22. A $29 Tasco 4x from Walmart! I fully expected the reticle to vaporize on the first shot.
I`m impressed with the barrel, the scope, and especially my gunmaker. I`m not impressed with the HS stock (or the way my middle finger feels from the trigger guard slamming it. Can`t wait to get my long-wristed stock carved.....
Does anyone make a trigger guard that is easier on a body using DGR`s? Or am I supposed to make sure I get a lot of extra wrist in the stock to counter the knuckle banging?
Thanks Gents.

<Mitch>
posted
Mike, After getting my knuckle busted open a few times by my 500 A2. I made up a pad to protect my finger from being hit by the trigger guard. You can cut up an old shoe and use layers of leather from it or if you have an old Past Pad you can cut it open and use the material inside of it to make a guard for your finger. I also think Uncle Mikes might make them. A buddy of mine has one, I will ask him where he bought it and I will post it for you. Good luck with your new 416 Rem.

[This message has been edited by Mitch (edited 05-19-2001).]

one of us
Picture of JLHeard
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you have yourself a winner!

------------------
It is not enough to fight for natural land and the west; it is even more important to enjoy it. While you can. While it's still there. So get out there and hunt and fish and mess around with your friends...Enjoy yourselves, keep your brain in your head and your head firmly attached to the body, the body active and alive, and I promise you this much: I promise you this one sweet victory over our enemies, over those deskbound men with their hearts in a safe-deposit box and their eyes hypnotized by desk calculators. I promise you this: you will outlive the bastards.

- Edward Abbey

Posts: 580 | Location: Mesa, AZ | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
They make a guard-type thing that fastens on to the back of the trigger guard to protect your fingers. You see them being used on side-by-side shotguns with straight grips and on some double rifles. If you get the "Gun List" check out the ads in the "Double Rifle" section. I think they are made out of leather and/or rubber.

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<R. A. Berry>
posted
You know, I have never had my knuckle rapped by a trigger guard. All the big bores from .416 to .585 caliber that I have shot get a death grip from both of my hands. The only thing relaxed about me when I fire is the trigger finger before the squeeze. This may be why I only shoot 0.665" groups with Mitch's T.rex, and he can do better.

I think a person can train his hand to go with the rifle in recoil rather than letting the grip slip enough to rap the knuckle on the trigger guard. This is a fine point of big bore shooting technique. Of course, benchrest shooting of .577 Tyrranosaurs might be done more accurately with a looser gripping trigger hand and a knuckle guard, as Mitch does. I may never be able to beat Mitch for accuracy...

------------------
Good huntin' and shootin',
Bwanawannabe, Daktari Ron

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike,
For abour $10.00 you can get a past ring to wear on that finger from Brownells, it works great...You can get a deal that attaches with a screw to the rear of the trigger guard from Cape Outfitters, for about $18.00, I use thoes on my double rifles and they work great..
Cape OUtfitters www.capeoutfitters.com, shop on line

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41944 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
<Mike Brown>
posted
Ray, thanks, but I couldn`t get the link to work.....
The recoil of the 416 with medium loads was a lot harsher than I expected. I hope the stock I`m carving will settle that down some.

<Mitch>
posted
Ron, In fairness to you I have shot my t.rex. a lot more than you have. With a bit more practice you probably will be able to shoot my t.rex. better than I can. A .665 the first time shooting a 577 t.rex. is remarkable in anybodys book.

[This message has been edited by Mitch (edited 05-19-2001).]

<R. A. Berry>
posted
Mitch,
I will call and see if you and Phil are busting caps in June. I have been tied up with conjugal visits and weekend on-call duties through the end of this month. Later.

------------------
Good huntin' and shootin',
Bwanawannabe, Daktari Ron

<Mitch>
posted
Ron, Sounds good look foward to talking with you. I will give you a call one day next week.