Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SXS and drillings Login/Join

Picture of Paul H
posted
I just happened to wander of to the local gunshop, and while perusing the used racks, spotted a few guns that had some interesting combinations of holes in their barrels.

There were two 16gaX16gaX9.3-74 drillings for $2500 each, and two 16gaX9.3-74 SXS's for $1250 each. The SXS's really caught my eye, they were exposed hammer guns, one was damascus, the other one looked nicer.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
<redleg155>
posted
While I'm not smart enough to help you with identification yet, I would suggest you go to http://www.shootingsportsman.com
and sign up (free like it is here) to their bbs. A wonderful group of intelligent doublegun gurus and I'm sure you will find answers to your questions there. It's such a gentlemanly site that many posters use their real names and not "board" names (even me). I've had the chance to hang out at a couple of midwestern shoots with some of these folks - first class all the way.

Enjoy,

redleg

one of us
Picture of Fritz Kraut
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paul H:

There were two 16gaX16gaX9.3-74 drillings for $2500 each, and two 16gaX9.3-74 SXS's for $1250 each. The SXS's really caught my eye, they were exposed hammer guns, one was damascus, the other one looked nicer.

I�ve seen some of those hammer drillings here in Sweden - in fact Husqvarna sold them under their own name in the beginning of the 20th century. Nice pieces of work. I think they would be made during between about 1890 and 1910 - this dating is a bit unprecise.

But are you quite sure about the rifle caliber? It�s rather unlike that they were built in 9,3x74R - I would say that the actual caliber is the weaker 9,3x72R with a 200 grains FN bullet at 1800 fps. The bullet is .364" instead of .366". It�s a good caliber for roe and smaller game, but will not perform well beyound 100 yards.

The drilling with the damascus barrels may only be shot with black powder. I saw one, in which smokeless shotgun cartridges were fired: the action block was cracked and then welded.

As I have two Sauer guns, I have written to Sauer and have get friendly and informative answers. You can write a mejl to Mrs. Hammes: Hammes@sig-sauer.de

Yours,

Fritz

Posts: 846 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 19 April 2001Reply With Quote