Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.416 Taylor action Login/Join

posted
Fellows:

I turn to you for some guidance. I am trying to put a .416 Taylor together and I have a two part question.

Assuming one would buy complete rifle and put on a new barrel, which action would make the best choice---CZ or Model 70. Best choice meaning least money and least amount of fiddling.

Secondly, when choosing the completed rifle to buy, which action offers the least amount of alternation and best strength----.7mm Rem Mag or the .300 Winchester mag?

Please offer any other suggestions which may cross your mind regarding this project.

Thanks.

woody

Posts: 9 | Location: Dillon,Montana | Registered: 28 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
It's very much a matter of opinion. The CZ long magnum for the 375 H&H etc is bigger than necessary. If you want to end up with a wood stock, and blued steel the CZ 550 medium magnum action I have seen advertised could be good. Of course the Mod 70 in a magnum receiver would be a good choice, stainless or not.

But my personal choice would be a Ruger 77 MK II stainless, and it doesn't matter whether it's a 7 mag or 300 mag. No alterations necessary to the action except perhaps a Timney trigger. Just a new barrel. Of course it's always good to remove another 7mm mag from the gene pool, so I recommend shopping for a good used one, and there's plenty out there.

KB

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

Posts: 12818 | Registered: 16 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
Get a stainless M77mk 2 Ruger , and if you want some real nice features on your barrel have McGowan,s barrel it with a slender countour stainless barrel... They will do custom work on the barrel like integral rear sight and 2nd recoil abutments like what are on a CZ barrel .. I think that a sling eye could be easily made as part of the barrel and even a front sight base .......The 416 Taylor is a nice little round and it doesn,t really need a muzzel brake . The 350 gr. Speer bullet @ 2400 fps is a nice affordable load for work and play......There are lots of more expensive bullets for serious stuff ...The Taylor is a really great round... 8 1/2 lbs is a good weight .. A 22" barrel will give you plenty of velocity and an 18 works fine also...one of mine had a 19 1/2 " barrel and one had an 18....With the 300 gr Barnes X bullet it drops less than a foot @ 300 yrds when sighted to 200 yrds..IMR 4320 is the best powder I ever used in that cartridge...

.If it can,t be grown , its gotta be mined ....

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
gumboot etal, I have to agree, my .416 Taylor is one fine gun. I had it built sometime ago by Bob Reyem in Anchoarge (the Gunn Nutt) The gun was built on a .458 win mag M 77 Ruger old style with the tang safety. I use .350gr Barnes and they do a fantastic job. I used it in Tenakee this past December to harvest some Blacktails. Once on the beach I took some at over 200 yds and picked my shot. Not bad meat damage like the .223 or .338 my partners were using. It looks like a stock .458 M77. Had the barell magnaported, that helps hold it down when firing. Trigger work done, the finish is from RoGuard using the NP3 finish on the internals and a matt finish elsewhere. I had the bold handled knurled. I've yet to try .300gr Barnes but I would bet they are great, will reach out and do the job.

If it doesn't kill ya, it'll only make you stronger!

Posts: 116 | Location: Juneau, Alaska, U.S.A. | Registered: 25 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like the idea of a new CZ medium in a magnum chambering. Buy a 338WM and you are just a tuneup and a barrel away from go. A tang safety rugger would be my first choice if you can find one. Either would be great!

Rich
DRSS

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote