Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cogswell & Harrison Login/Join

<Terry P>
posted
I have found a Cogswell & Harrison rifle for sale in 375HH. This rifle is listed for $2750. It looks like a commercial mauser action with an island rear sight and is advertised with a 26 1/2" barrel and a 95% rifle . Does anyone have any experience with these rifles? Any info would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
Terry

one of us
Picture of mbogo375
posted Hide Post
Terry,

The C&H rifles were generally well made working guns, although higher grades were also offered. They don't usually command the prices that H&H, Rigby, Jeffery, etc. do, but they are good rifles.

I passed up a decent C&H 375 when I was in Zimbabwe this year. It was well used but still in good condition. I did not like the fore end shape on this rifle, as it was too square in cross section for my taste (not all C&H rifles are shaped like this though). I would have bought it anyway, but I could only import 2 firearms without going through a licensed importer as opposed to a regular FFL holder. I really hated to leave it there, as I could have had it for about $400 .

Jim

Posts: 1206 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 21 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Deerdogs
posted Hide Post
Coggies made very nice guns, and they still do:-

http://www.cogswell.co.uk/

I have seen plenty of their shotguns but never a rifle.

Likely as not it will have been worked on by the same hands that do much of the work for the �Best� London names.

------------------
Regards

Richard

Posts: 1978 | Location: UK and UAE | Registered: 19 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
They are servicable guns, but considered the least of the British guns and are not very well built, but what can one do to harm a Mauser...Does this one have a Aluminum bottom metal, most do...

That one is no great deal, as thats top price for one. I have had and sold a few of them over the years..They are a good meat and potatoes rifle and I would not hesitate to hunt buffalo with one...All were built on milsurp Mod 98 standard actions as far as I know.

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
<Terry P>
posted
Ray,
The rifle (Cogswell & Harrison) I'm looking at is on the website at Chadicks. I'm not sure about the aluminum bottom metal. Thanks for your input. I haven't decided to really check this out.
Butch Searcy has a 404J built by Fraser that looks like a jewel of a rifle. I've been talking to him about it today. That one is going to keep me awake all night long.
Terry

[This message has been edited by Terry P (edited 12-19-2001).]

one of us
posted Hide Post
/

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hate to say it, but the C&H website sucks.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Alf,
I don't disagree with what you say, but the downside is the finish of metal, aluminum bottom metal, metal polish, wood finish, crude checkering at about 16 LPI....they don't campare to Westley Richards, Hollands,Frazier etc. and they never were intended to compete in that market..

They were a meat and potatoes rifle at a like price and designed for the African locals...They are indeed a serviceable rifle and they sell in the US today accordingly.

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
/