THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIG BORE FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Big Bores    4 Bore Shotguns? Legal? Ammo?

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

4 Bore Shotguns? Legal? Ammo? Login/Join

<BMG>
posted
There is a discussion on another board as to the legality of 4 Bore shotguns in the US. Since you guy's are the experts, what's the answer? Is the ammo itself legal? Where to get ammo?
http://www.tennesseeguns.com/firearms/shtguns.html

What say you the guru's of the over-bores?

one of us
posted Hide Post
hunting with shot-guns shooting shot larger then 10 guage is illegal. owning one and shooting one isnt (in my state at least). Owning a 4 gauge rifle and hunting with one isnt illegal... the hunting part should be checked by state

Posts: 2045 | Location: West most midwestern town. | Registered: 13 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
smallfry

I think you mean that hunting migratory birds with a shotgun over 10 gauge is illegal.

But hunting jackrabbits with a 4 bore is not illegal.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No sir, My state does not allow you to hunt with a shot-gun shooting shot larger then 10 guage, for any animal. Though this does not include 4,6,8 bore rifles.

Posts: 2045 | Location: West most midwestern town. | Registered: 13 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What state is that?

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
<hsp223>
posted
I think what SmallFry means is that it is illegal to hunt with a shotgun with a bore larger than 10 guage for any game, but he can hunt game with a rifle that can be any size (2,4,6,8 bore or what ever). It's the difference between what weapon you use, i.e. Shotgun vs. Rifle. This leads into the question: What is a 4 bore gun? a rifle or shotgun. If the bore is fully rifled and it can shoot both shot or lead bullets, what is it? or what about the Paradox guns of old with a partially rifled barrel?

Federal law states that the 10 guage is the larest bore that can be used to hunt migratory birds, many states use this as the standard size for largest bore of shotgun that can be used to hunt any game, however that criterial may not be used when it comes to rifles. To my knowledge I have only have expreience with minimum caliber requirements (no .22 cal for big game, etc.) for rifles)

one of us
posted Hide Post
500grains... arizona.

hsp223... you are correct... I could junt jackrabits with a 4 bore rifle, but not a 4 bore shotgun shooting shot. And just to note... "Bore" designated guns were rifles long before they became shot guns.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Smallfry, You are correct about the use of the 4 bore "shotgun". Here in Missouri, any shotgun larger than a 10 ga. is not legal for any hunting.

Posts: 448 | Location: High Ridge MO USA | Registered: 16 February 2001Reply With Quote