THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIG BORE FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Big Bores    Restocking Merkel Double??

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Restocking Merkel Double?? Login/Join

<Terry P>
posted
I have been thinking about having a new stock put on my Merkel 470NE. I have checked around my part of the country but I would like to have someone who is familiar with this to do this work. Who would you guys recommend ?
Thanks,
Terry

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
What's the matter Terry, you don't like the hog back stock? Is it that it does not fit you, or you just don't like the way it looks? If you just don't like the way it looks, the "hog back" can be removed without changeing the way it fits. A silvers, or Red Pachmayer decelarator pad can be installed at the same time, if you haven't already done that.

If it is that you don't like the way it looks, take the rifle and lay it down on a table and take something like a large piece of poster paper and hold it in line between the nose of the comb, and the top of the butt, this will show you what the stock will look like with the Hog Back removed. If you are going to remove this hump, do it before you have the pad done. You have to be very carefull who restocks a double rifle, it may destroy the regulation.

I have a Merkel 140E 9.3x74R and the hump is going, though this rifle fits me as perfectly as if it were made to fit me!

The only person I would let restock a double rifle is JJ at Champlin's in Enid, Ok.
www.champlinarms.com But they are not cheap!
------------------
..Mac >>>===(x)===>
DUGABOY DESIGNS
Collector/trader of fine double rifles, and African wildlife art

[This message has been edited by MacD37 (edited 09-02-2001).]

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
<Terry P>
posted
Mac,
I don't like the hogback. The rifle fits ok but I have seen pictures of the custom Kreighoff's restocked by Sabi . These are nice looking stocks that have more wood in them than mine or even the American Merkel's. It seems they are more straight back and the butt is larger. Anyway they look neat. I've seen Champlin's site and I may call them if I get serious about this.

By the way , I'm shooting factory Federal's from my double. Maybe some creative handloading might get it dead on? I have A square's book and that is the only load data I have on the 470. I ordered Shooting the British Double last night.

It is crossing about 3" at 50 and about 6" at 100 yards. I will be ordering some dies for this in the near future.
Terry

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Terry P:
Mac,
By the way , I'm shooting factory Federal's from my double. Maybe some creative handloading might get it dead on? I have A square's book and that is the only load data I have on the 470. I ordered Shooting the British Double last night.

It is crossing about 3" at 50 and about 6" at 100 yards. I will be ordering some dies for this in the near future.
Terry

I think handloading this rifle is the answer! Your loads definetly need to speed up, to bring them together. The Merkels are regulated with RWS ammo, and it is even more expensive than Federal. Hunington has every thing you need for the reloading of this cartridge. One word of caution here be sure your press has enough opening to load this round, most do not! I use an old RCBS "BIG MAX" but the RCBS AMMO MASTER will handle almost anything you will be loading to shoot from the shoulder.

With dies only $170, NORMA cases less than $3.00 ea, they are equal, or less than about the cost of one box of 20 rds of federal ammo, which does not shoot in your rifle! I would start with a load of:

POWDER: IMR4831 105 grs

PRIMER: Fed 215

BULLET: 500 gr Your choice, I like
Woodliegh

WADS: NONE

PRESSURE: 12.1 Mtrc tons (very low)

VELOCITY: 2,052 out of a 28" barrel

This load is right out of Graeme's book, and IMO, it is a good starting point. The chamber pressure is light, and it gives you room to move up carefully! If I'm not mistaken your rifle has 24" tubes, so this load will probably only make about 2,000 fps But again a good starting point! Factory ammo from the old British catalogs is 75 grs Cordite,with a 500 gr mtl cld bullet @ 2125 with a chamber pressure of 14.0 mtrc tons

One other thing, does each barrel group well for it's own group? If it does all that is needed is to speed it up to bring the two barrels together, for a composite group about the size of the individule group from the most open barrel! I'm sure you are aware of this, but a group consists of four rounds, and the correct fireing sequince is RT, LFT, RT, LFT, from cool barrels, and the four shots should be fired quickly. Before trying again the barrels should be allowed to cool. The rifle should touch nothing but you, it absolutely must be allowed to recoil naturely. Rest your hands between the rifle and any sand bag you use! If you have a cronograph use it! A crono is valuable for working up loads for a double rifle.

Hope any of this helps

------------------
..Mac >>>===(x)===>
DUGABOY DESIGNS

[This message has been edited by MacD37 (edited 09-02-2001).]

<Terry P>
posted
Thanks for the info Mac. I copied some of that down. I will be retired from my job in about 6 weeks so I may get on that double and see what it will do.

The groups from each barrel shoot about 1-11/2" or less. Now this is only a 2 shot group from each barrel and the only the 2nd time I have shot this rifle. I shot right-right and left - left. The right barrel shoots about 2-3" higher than the left. I was shooting off sand bags with my hand under the forend and the butt was not resting on anything. This was about 50 yards. If the left and right could be brought together that would be nice.

I took a straight edge and put it across the stock. That looks nice but would it drop the comb too much? I'll probably keep "old humpy" like it is for awhile. If you order a silvers pad you might try the smaller one. I have the large silvers on mine -- it's ok but the smaller one from Brownell's might look a little better. I think they make 2 sizes.

How about that 9.3X 74? How is it working out for you? Have you chronographed anything out of it and would you use this for buffalo? I would love to have a double in that caliber with a scope on it.

Terry

one of us
posted Hide Post
Terry,

A double is designed to shoot right, left and right left...It makes a difference.

Go back and try it that way before you try to fix something that ain't broke...

It will normally cost half as much as the gun to restock a double...I charged $2500 labor for mine, before I retired and thats about the going price.....

I looked at a photo of the stock in question and I believe you could cut the hump off and stay off the comb and it would be fine unless you plan on scope use. I cannot tell if it has any cast off, but it should...Merkel does use quality wood that I believe to be Turkish or at least European walnut, quarter sawn, and that has the best end grain, an important factor in double rifle stocking...

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Terry P:
How about that 9.3X 74? How is it working out for you? Have you chronographed anything out of it and would you use this for buffalo? I would love to have a double in that caliber with a scope on it.

Terry

Terry all I have shot in the little Merkel is S&B factory ammo, with 286 gr soft points, but they shoot to point of aim, and group a RT, LFT, RT, LFT for four rounds is in the 3" to 3.25" range. They cronoed at an average speed of 2348 fps, with about +,- of 23 fps, pritty good ammo. I shot through a 3"x3" pine board+ a 3/8" plywood to hit a 3/8" steel plate behind them, and the S&B soft point almost shot through the steel, from 10 yds. If I had been useing a solid it wouldn't have shot through with ease,IMO! We will see once I get some Woodlieghs!

Nosler makes the 286 gr Partition in the .366 dia, and I love Partitions, but will work up loads with Woodliegh, solids, and softs as well.

I will probably get my butt bitten by Ray Atkinson, for pulling a stunt, which it would be, but I probably will take at least one buffalo with this rifle. UHHHHhhhhhhhhh perhaps two! My main dangerous game with this rifle will probably be large Brown Bear, in Alaska. I'm looking for a Ruger No1, chambered for 7mm Rem Mag now to re-barrel to 9.3X74R as a scoped partner for this rifle, for Africa. The reason I need the 7mm mag rifle is the ejector is for the same rim size as the 9.3x74R, and the barrel configuration is proper for the 9.3x74R as well, allowing me to use the quarter rib, barrel band, and front sight, from the old barrel.

------------------
..Mac >>>===(x)===>
DUGABOY DESIGNS

one of us
posted Hide Post
Can't bite you on that one Mac, I have used the 9.3x62 on too many Buffalo but you knew that didn't you...Were you trying to trap me you old rascal?

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Well, you old rascal, I thought you might be old enough that you forgot!

Ray, this thing shoots really well, and I wouldn't be unduely alarmed if I got in the way of an old duggaboy with an attitude,having nothing else but this little double! Might wish I hadn't, but that remains to be seen. I think this would be a great rifle for following up Leopard, with the right loads! Colud be wrong there as well, hope not!

------------------
..Mac >>>===(x)===>
DUGABOY DESIGNS

[This message has been edited by MacD37 (edited 09-04-2001).]