THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIG BORE FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Big Bores    Browning BAR in .458 Win Mag?

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Browning BAR in .458 Win Mag? Login/Join

<buffalo_buster>
posted
Has anyone tried to rebarrel a BAR for .458 Win Mag? With its auto loading capabilities it should be a good back up rifle. Does anyone see any disadvantages of such a conversion?
BB

one of us
posted Hide Post
It was done, I do not remember the by who.

Posts: 280 | Location: SARASOTA , FL. | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
The disadvantage is the actions aren't as reliable as bolt guns, and most folks would rather have an action they know they can reliable load and eject from, albeit slightly slower, rather then a slightly faster repeat shot, and the possibility of a jam. The other thing to consider is the recoil of the 458 is such that you really don't gain much speed over a bolt gun.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It would be fine in Alaska but I don't know of a Country in Africa that allows semi auto rifles for hunting, or backup for that matter.

------------------
The happiest of people don't necessarily have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything they have.

Posts: 1261 | Location: Rural Wa. St. & Ellisras RSA | Registered: 06 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It was done sometime in the 1960's. I believe it was in a copy of GUN & AMMO, but I'm not quite positive on this. The guy had some trouble with it at first, but did get it to work reliably, if I remember correctly. I have piles of gun magazines all over the place. One of these days, I'll have to sort them out according to title.
IIRC, the author still said that it kicked like hell.
Paul B.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
John Wooters had a BAR in .416 Taylor, as I recall.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
<Telly>
posted
I also remember an article in Guns & Ammo about a BAR in .458. I believe Howard French or one of the more senior writers was the author. I believe the article was in the late 1970s but am not sure.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The trouble with auto is in the extractors, a slightly warm round will stick, and Jumbo will trod your bod...Same with levers...when the bolt comes back empty your in a world of ---- marine!!

The real advantage and wisdom in the bolt action control feed rifle is that big claw extractor that pulls hot cases out come hell or high water.....

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41880 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am just re-conforming that there was an artcle in Guns and Ammo on converting a .338 Win Mag. BAR to a .458. They had to mess with it a bit and then it functioned well. The article I had was in a magazine from G&A titled "Magnums". Not so long ago, I gave the copy to a friend. I will check to see if he still has it.
Jack Lott, I think was the author,possibly.

Sorry,the title was"Big Bores".

Daryl

[This message has been edited by Daryl D (edited 06-20-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Daryl D (edited 06-20-2001).]

Posts: 536 | Location: Whitehorse, Yukon | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I remember reading the article. the goal was a .458 win semi-auto with less recoil. That part of the equation didn't happen. The rifle was too light. Supposedly the cycling was a little slow also.
I will look it up and let you know who the author was. I think that it was in a Guns & Ammo Big Bores or Magnums rag.

Posts: 694 | Location: Des Moines, Iowa, USA | Registered: 09 January 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I seem to recall reading that a small number of these BAR conversions were used for Sambar hunting in either New Zealand or OZ. If I remember correctly, the caliber of choice for the conversion was the 7mm Rem Mag. Maybe Mike or one of the other guys from that neck of the woods can chime in with more info???

Posts: 5684 | Location: North Wales UK | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The magazine was the Guns & Ammo Action series, 1983 Volume 1 - Big Bore Rifles, page 90.
The author was Jack Lott. It does not say which chambering he started with, but I would assume that it was a .338 Win.

Posts: 694 | Location: Des Moines, Iowa, USA | Registered: 09 January 2001Reply With Quote