New
Find
Notify
Tools

CZ 550 Rigby Extractor Login/Join

one of us
Picture of 470 Mbogo
posted
Question: Does any one else with a CZ 550 416 Rigby find that they have modified the extractor to close over a chambered round? My CZ 550 action closes over a chambered round with about the same feel as my Ruger 416 action. I tried to contact the Bruno distributor but they e-mailed me back with a 1 800 955-4486 number and a contact person Mike. Of course this number will not access from Canada. I'm curious as to what they have to say. If anyone else finds their action to be the same or is interested in calling Mike I would love to know the answer.

Posts: 1247 | Location: Sechelt B.C. | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Yes, I have.... in various calibers from various sources. Two consecutive rifles required beveling of the leade edge of the extractor as the bolt would not close on a top fed cartridge. Other than a Browning A-Bolt, I have not purchased a bolt action rifle in years, that did not require hand fitting to some degree to ensure safe and proper function. Winchester has been especially poor in this regard with a myriad of feeding and extraction problems and pitted bores.

[This message has been edited by Nickudu (edited 04-20-2001).]

Posts: 11017 | Registered: 14 December 2000Reply With Quote
<Redbird>
posted
Experienced the same problem with my CZ 550 in .416 Rigby. The bolt would not close on a shell in the chamber. Posted on this board several weeks ago and got two different pieces of advice as this is normal for Mauser actions. 1) bevel the extractor, and 2) use more force. I chose to only polish the extractor and use extra force. ( it takes a lot) repeated closing on the same brass will damage the rim on the expensive brass , but you can certainly get away with one closing per shell. Why do it? The shell in the chamber raises the capacity to 4. Some will say why do it. Well, I would put 20 in there if it would hold them. Caution , my advice is built on an N of 1. Others will certainly have more experience. Shot mine for the first time this weekend with the iron sights. Was very impressed with the accuracy, 21/2 at 100 yds with my bad eyes. Now I have confidence in the iron sights, my 1.5 -5 Leopold will go on with detachable rings. Good luck with yours.

posted Hide Post
Redbird,
I am not telling you what to do so don't take this the wrong way. Closing your bolt on a top-fed round may become a very crucial event someday. I suggest you take steps to ensure it happens as easily and reliably as possible. A light, smooth bevel will take care of it. Also make sure you have clearance behind the claw, the gap to the bolt face. Some case rims are coming through a bit thicker than others and the claw sometimes rides up on the edge of the rim without snapping behind it on the top-fed round.

<Redbird>
posted
Nickadu, no offense taken. I will only use my method to top off the magazine in hunting conditions, and follow the rule about where the muzzle is pointing. I also always partially back out the shell to make sure the extractor is properly seated on the shell.

one of us
Picture of 470 Mbogo
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Redbird:

Thanks guys. The question I was asking pertained to the fact that my action will close easily over a chambered round. The extractor does seem to be beveled from the factory. On the web page for AHR rifles they carry the CZ actions and a modified extractor is one of the points mentioned. It was in the CZ action portion and didn't seem as if they were talking about a modification that they would do. I was kind of curious if the factory would say yes this is what we now offer. Don't close your action if it takes force to do so or sure enough it will be in two pieces at the wrong time. 470 Mbogo

Posts: 1247 | Location: Sechelt B.C. | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
are you feeding from the magazine or off the top, not in the magazine? I understand that most CRF rifles MUST feed from the magazine. Never from a loose round in the general vicinity of the chamber. In a push feed that is OK but a CRF you may break the claw extractor. Is that what you are doing? If not help me understand as I picked up my CZ this morning. I don't wish to foul it up right off the bat. Thanks "D"

Posts: 1701 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 28 June 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
D Hunter,

All bolts of rifles in dangerous game calibers should close on an already chambered round. This permits to use the maximum magazine capacity and allows the bolt to be closed in stressful conditions. If a rifle is emptied on a buffalo, you won�t need to put a round in the magazine first to be able to chamber it. You may simply chamber by hand and shoot. This feature will not influence the controlled feeding of the action.