Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

10.75 x 68 Model A Mauser Login/Join

one of us
posted
I just picked up a 10.75 x 68 Mauser in a MOdel A Mauser...A very trim and slim job and has a half octagon and half round barrel with a full rib...I have a 100 rounds of brass and apparantly I can get 2208 with a 400 gr. bullet of .423 bore.. considering the light weight of this rifle that might be plenty of velocity and I know its effective as I have used simular loads in my 404's..Its OAL is 3.189 and that good enough for a standard lenth action..This sounds like one heck of a round and if I don't like it then I can punch it out to 404 I assume....

Anyone had any experience with this round or any loading data.....

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41892 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Congrats - sounds like a keeper, Ray.

Any chance you can post some pics of it? Esp. the action -- you can really learn a lot from looking at older European Mausers. I've spent hours in the big $$$ gun room at Cabelas looking them over.

How did you come across it?

Todd

Posts: 1248 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 14 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Todd,
I picked it up in the Gunlist for a pitience. Its about 90 percent OA...

the action is a c-ring Mauser...double triggers have been replaced with a good military trigger and trigger job so it has a cut inside the trigger guard but that does not show, besides I have several double trigger Mauser bottom metals and triggers..

I have a Holland & Holland 375 H&H and studing that conversion work from a standard action, both drop box and action is a revalation of workmanship, no wonder they work flawlessly....

A lot more conversation on the African Hunting board on this caliber and its virtures...

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41892 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of boha
posted Hide Post
You will not be disappointed, Mr Atkinson.
The load I mentioned on Favorite loads is in fact a mild one, although it reaches the maximum claimed by RWS at 615 m/s (2030 fps). I am confined to the range, Scandinavian moose and dreams of more dangerous game, so the load is quite sufficient for my needs, as of now.
The primers still come out just slightly due to a headspace problem caused by the reloader (myself) and they were not flattened at all. No signs of excessive pressure. This means that there is more to take out of this venerable old round for the careful handloader. The WW 748 would be in between Vihtavuori N133 and N135, I think. I believe RWS is being careful like other manufacturers.

I�ll load 347 grs Woodleighs next.

My rifle is light and the barrel 28". Great fun!

I found it in Sweden: http://www.mamut.com/vapenstallet

Boha

Posts: 493 | Location: Finland | Registered: 18 July 2001Reply With Quote