THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIG BORE FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Big Bores    Re: Shooting the .600 OverKill...

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Shooting the .600 OverKill... Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Robgunbuilder
posted
George- Good going! If you only had not cut your barrel length to 23 inches you'd be over 2400 fps with that load! How's the torque? Once fired cases have about 10% more capacity than unfired cases so you should have no problems stuffing in enough powder. I have not shot mine in two weeks as I'm getting ready for RENO! -Rob

Posts: 6314 | Location: Las Vegas,NV | Registered: 10 January 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
George,
it looks GREAT... i can tig up those holes in the sides of the barrel for you, .. LOL

jeffe

Posts: 39678 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

You can fit 25rds of OverKill in an MTM 50rd box.

Posts: 273 | Location: Clarks Summit, Pa. | Registered: 17 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
George,

That is a very nice and practical looking peice of shoulder held artillery you have there!

Regarding the second shot, not too surprised by your answer. Seems to limit the practicality of those loads for hunting.

Finally, regarding the 23" barrel versus the now vaunted 26" barrel. Personally I would have opted for 26", but not for the extra velocity (no I would want it to reduce muzzle flip). Anyway, the software, which to date has been frighteningly accurate, suggests that if your rifle sported the 26" barrel your muzzle velocities would be:

For the 165 grains of 4350:
23" barrel - 2220 fps
26" barrrel - 2265 fps

For the 167.5 grains of 4350:
23" barrel - 2253 fps
26" barrel - 2299 fps

I went through the model again and tweaked it to the nth degree to match up with what you have posted here on this thread. The extra 3" doesn't buy you all that much, really.

ASS_CLOWN

Posts: 1673 | Location: MANY DIFFERENT PLACES | Registered: 14 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CZ 550
posted Hide Post
Damn George, that thing looks prettier and prettier every time I see it. Drop me an email.
Andy

Posts: 477 | Location: Olyphant Pennsylvania | Registered: 05 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the pics! You're tougher than me.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Damn George, that thing looks prettier and prettier every time I see it. Drop me an email.
Andy

Thanks, Andy, and I keep getting uglier! Proof:

I had the Past "Puss" Pad on to crono, I didn't know what to expect from this load.

Here's a shot of me shooting 7, 1 gallon jugs of water. We put a box of phone books behind the jugs to try to stop the bullet, it never made it to the box.We found the slug in the 7th jug. I thought for sure it would go right through. It had expanded to about 1 1/8". I'll have to post a pic of the recovered slugs. I pulled my face up off the stock on purpose to see the effects.

Posts: 273 | Location: Clarks Summit, Pa. | Registered: 17 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
George,

That rifle is nicely done, and the thick portion of rubber at the butt end is a comforting sight.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tonto,
My gunsmith designed and made the brake. That's a BMR Riflesmithing (catchy name, eh, Barry?) exclusive! All I can say is I'm positive it works. I'm so sure that it works, that I don't want to try it without the brake! I don't know when I'll be able to go elephant hunting, so I envy you. I've never heard of Denton Hill, I don't think it's near me. I'm just north of Scranton, Pa. Let's plan a big bore shoot.

one of us
Picture of tonto
posted Hide Post
George

I go to the trad bow shoot in Denton most every year. I visit a friend now and again in Scranton. I hope to shoot my 600 in September. I also have a 458 bolt a 45/70 double rifle and hope to get a 500 smith and wesson shortly. Is anyone else around who would shoot? Would be nice to make a bunch of noise. Let me get mine shooting and we will plan something. I also end up training in Bethlehem Pa once a year also. I got to check out the Cabelas also.

If my brake doesnt work ill see if your smith will make me one like yours.

Dean

also if you are ever in the Adirondacks Im just north of Lake George I can shoot right in my back yard.

Posts: 1057 | Location: adirondacks,NY ,USA | Registered: 30 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A bit of trivia. A .620 bullet compared to a 458 bullet is virtually indentical to a 375 bullet compared to a 270 bullet

My calculations are that a 460 Wby "case capacity" with .620 bore size would do 2170 with 900 grain bullets when pressure was equal to getting 2450 with 500 grains on 458 bore size.

The 600 OK looks to be about 35% or so bigger than 460 case capacity and that should 9% velocity which puts it at 2170 X 1.09 = 2365

2450 from 500 grainers in a 460 case capacity is quite low pressure. However, in my experience straight cases generally get a bit less speed than the case capacity would suggest. So 2360 with 900s should come at a bit more pressure than what a 460 Wby needs to do 2450 with 500s.

Mike

Posts: 7206 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<mikeh416Rigby>
posted
George, I think Denton Hill is up in Potter. By the way, only about 6 weeks and the ducks will be falling out of the sky.

one of us
posted Hide Post
George,
Beautiful and interesting rifle you have .
Can you take a picture of the muzzle blast at dusk or dawn ?
So is there a future big game hunt planned for the
.600 OverKill ?
Will keep watching the adventures GeorgeInNePa ....

Posts: 92 | Location: Las Vegas, Nv | Registered: 26 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike,

I can't wait for the duck hunt. Especially since I had to postpone my Namibia trip this year. They might fall from the sky, but only because they're laughing at me shooting holes in the clouds! Maybe I should use the .600, you know, to scare them to death.

You know, I forgot to send in my deposit, I'll have to send a letter and a check to Bill this week. Christ, I still have yet to buy a Pa lic and I haven't sent in my doe license app. for Pa yet!

Hee Haw,

There was a trip to Namibia planned to try out the 600 on giraffe, but my father and I are short a few employees at our business and can't get away. I guess I'll have to settle for Pa whitetail doe with the 600.

Should be a blast! My gunsmith can make some very neat looking 850gr hollow-points out of the 900gr Woodliegh softpoints.

CCM,

That sounds like fun, let me know, I'll go!

one of us
posted Hide Post
George, Tonto,
I hunt in the Catskills (Ellenville) area every year. It would be a hoot to have the three of us using 600OK on the local whitetail population (avg weight in that area ~ 125lbs).
Stay well,
Paul

Posts: 59 | Location: USA | Registered: 09 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
Well,
That's me above (CCM Doc - forgot my password and changed emails so re-registered as CCMDoc - no space between) and now living in New Jersey and now waiting for my NEW AHR-built 600OK - should be arriving about 3 1/2 months from now.

Still hoping to meet up with whomever has one of these behemoths or another similarly large big bore. I'll bring along my 416 Weatherby Magnum, my 454 Cassull SuperRedHawk and both the 2 3/4" bbl S&W 500 and my 8 3/8" bbl S&W 500..
Might be fun !

NRA Lifer; DSC Lifer; SCI member; DRSS; AR member since November 9 2003

Don't Save the best for last, the smile for later or the "Thanks" for tomorow

Posts: 3465 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
George,

Nice rifle, did AHR build it? The recoil does not look too bad for such a beast.

WLA

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GeorgeInNePa:

<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />
<br />You can fit 25rds of OverKill in an MTM 50rd box.

Nice looking rifle George,
I love my 20" barrel. Take off the brake & scope & it only weighs 9.5lbs. Carries great and isn't bad for recoil.

Posts: 467 | Location: Driftless Area of Wisconsin | Registered: 03 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bent Fossdal
posted Hide Post
Very nice laid out rifle, it looks harmonic even if it is so huge! At least everything behind the muzzle brake...How much recoil does it reduce?
Do you use earprotection at all times?

Thanks,

Bent Fossdal
Reiso
5685 Uggdal
Norway

Posts: 1707 | Location: Norway | Registered: 21 April 2005Reply With Quote