New
Find
Notify
Tools

Short 416 Dakota Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted
Is there a shorter version of the 416 Dakota or 416RUM that will fit in a standard length Mauser action without too much whittling? Kind of a modern day version of the 416 Taylor? Just wondering if someone has done this.

Posts: 3828 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
Ken Howell did it ~25 years ago, it is called the 416 Howell. John Ricks has the original reamer. 400 gr @ 2400 fps is easy, can reach 2500 with some coaxing.

Personally I've tried to swere off wildcats. A 416 rem mag will do everything the 416 Howell will do, and w/o the need for custom dies or exspenive brass. If it has to be a standard length action, then the 416 Taylor is a fine enough round in it's own right.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As Paul pointed out there is the 416 Howell. There is also the 404 Dakota, but that one utilizes a 0.423" diameter bullet.

ASS_CLOWN

Posts: 1673 | Location: MANY DIFFERENT PLACES | Registered: 14 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
And a long action.

I, myself, have not sworn off wildcats, and would just love a k98 in 416 Howell. Sweet!

Truth be told, I'd probably make my own 'cat, more like a 416-375 Dakota, just to make the most out of the space. Extra cost over the Howell would be next to nil. Maybe $70.

Thinking on it, what you might ought to do is get a hold of a 416 Taylor you like, play with it for a while, then if you still feel the need get it remed out to what you want.

Posts: 2000 | Location: Beaverton OR | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
Pretty sure the 404 Dakota fits a standard length action. The 416 Dakota requires a magnum. I've never owned a 404 Dakota or a 416 Howell but they both seem like optimal big game cartridges with the added benefit of working off a standard length action.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bwana-be,

The 404 Dakota is VERY similar to the 416 Howell. The major difference is bullet diameter (0.416" versus 0.423").

The 404 Dakota was designed to work through the M97 Standard length action, and the case is 2.5" long, the COL is 3.34" if I recall correctly.

I believe Dakota has the specs available on their website.

ASS_CLOWN

Posts: 1673 | Location: MANY DIFFERENT PLACES | Registered: 14 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
ASS CLOWN,
You are correct. The Dakota site has drawings for the 404 with a case length of 2.580 max. Looks like the way to go for a semi-non-wildcat DG cart in a standard action. 416 would be my preference but 423 will do as well or better I would think.
Thanks!
Russ

Posts: 3828 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Considering the fact that its easy enough to convert a std. length action to a 416 Rem or 404 Jefferys, why would one want a short wildcat, unless its just something to play with and thats justifiable if it bloww your skirt up...

Posts: 41893 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote