Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

45-90 is it ok ? Login/Join

one of us
posted
Got one for you guys a friend at the local full bore club is selling a few of his rigs to finance a new project one of them is a marlin in 45-90 in goog condition with 150 pieces of brass he is selling it at the price of a normal second hand 45-70.
1. is it worth buying it
2. can you shoot 45-70 rounds in it?
3. what is the extra energy figs between the two
4. for the gun smiths can you get it chambered to a 45-110 or is this a true pipe dream?
5. I have a marlin 45-70 allready will my wife cut my nuts off if I bring home another? [Frown]
6. At the end of the day my current marlin is a pig thumper and used it on two scub bulls (not by my choice but thiers)would you use a 45-90 ?
7. If yes to all questions except for question 5. would you lay money down on it?
thanks
H.D.U.

Posts: 30 | Location: australia | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Unless it has been highly modified, the 45/90 would even have the bullets seated deeper than you would want to go. The 45/110 is out of the question in a marlin. I Have the Marlin Cowboy in 45/70 and you still have to keep the OAL of the shells 2.550" to cycle right.
Just my opinion. Maybe you should ask the gunsmiths....they should have more knowledge if the marlin will work even with a properly seated 45/90 or not.
Sorry your wife is not the understanding type, but maybe this time she saved you more than your testicles.
SP

Posts: 112 | Location: Akron, Ohio, USA | Registered: 25 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I shot the 45-90 for a few years until my rifle got so valueable that I chose to sell it..It was a special order Win. 86 in near mint condition...

I shot a number of deer and elk with it. It killed deer very well, but I have always been disapointed in the 45-70 and 45-90 on Elk...The best bullets I found for hunting big game, in either caliber, is the 350 Gr. Hornady RN.

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ray
Did you ever use the 500 grain in the 45-90?

Posts: 6277 | Location: Not Likely, but close. | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Micky,
Yes, but I could not get the velocity I like, the cannalures were in the wrong place, the twist of the 45-90 is for 300 gr. bullets and the bullets were constructed for the 458 and would not expand...

I didn't try the 500 gr. cast as I figured it was a worthless endevor...The 350 gr. Hornady was the only bullet that I got satisfactory penitration and expansion out of unless I slowed it down enough for the factory 45-70 bullets...

Posts: 41859 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies I did not buy it as it was sold the day after I saw it [Confused] .
kind regards
H.D.U.

Posts: 30 | Location: australia | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Winchester Creedmore in 45-90. It has a twist fast enough for the 500 grain bullets, I think. I bought it mostly for BPCR shooting. However, I would like to take it on a Bison hunt. I could stay with BP but for some reason I wish to see how much power it is capable of. The loading manuals are of little value with this cartridge, smokless powder and 500 grain bullets. So far I am only considering hard cast bullets. Anyone have info regarding this cartridge/load?
It seems to me that this combo should come close to 458 velocity.

"There ain't many troubles that a man can't fix with seven hundred dollars and a 30-06." Lindy Wisdom

One of Us
posted Hide Post
you will be close enough to rattle your eyeballs around without a padded stock! I did some of that in one of my Shilohs...owwwwie!!

Rich
DRSS

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Masterifleman
posted Hide Post
Sodakoda - If you are wanting to use blackpowder in that .45-90, just put enough powder in the case so that it is somewhat comprssed because blackpowder requires some compression. I would think, that because it is a .45-90, you would use 90 grs. of FFG as a starting point.

"I ask, sir, what is the Militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them" - George Mason, co-author of the Second Amendment during the Virginia convention to ratify the Constitution

Posts: 1699 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am not concerned about BP.

I think this rifle will be able to easily handle pressures similar to the 458. I am not sure about the cases. I think there is a formula for estimating loads with smokeless that compares volume of another case with the one in question. I don't recall that formula. Also I don't know about the strength of the cases.

What I am asking for is information what would be a good starting load and if the cases are strong enough a load that approximates say the 458. (I understand the differences of measuring pressure piezo vs. copper crusher so I hope the thread doesn't go that way.)

As I work up the load I would be able to see how the case is handling the pressure. I was hoping someone on this forum could help. Thanks.

"There ain't many troubles that a man can't fix with seven hundred dollars and a 30-06." Lindy Wisdom

One of Us
Picture of Bill74
posted Hide Post
sodakota,
what do you want to use? copper or lead when you shoot your bison?
if it is lead,the velocities do not have to be maxed out,my first bison was taken with a 45-90 SHARPS,480gr bullet 30-1 lead alloy,going about 1650 fps,at about 80yrds the bison fell like it was hit by a truck!
Idaho Sharpshooter is right,you go much higher,you are going to feel the recoil,I have shot full loads out of my Shiloh's,when I had the 458 bug myself,but however like to keep them all now in the 1400-1700fps range max!

Posts: 115 | Location: MICHIGAN | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I still wish to try the full power loads. I want to see what it capable of, mostly. Thanks.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Load the case full of IMR4895 (around 66-70 gr) top off with the 500 gr bullet and enjoy the ride. If you have a crescent steel butt plate should be real comfortable.

Make sure your action can handle 60,000 + psi before loading it like a 458 Winchester Magnum. This is YOUR responsibility!!

Posts: 1662 | Location: USA | Registered: 27 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
this is what I got,

It is heavy. I don't think recoil will be bad.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
start with the ruger max loads that the manuals list and go from there.

DRSS

Posts: 1151 | Location: Pamplico, SC USA | Registered: 24 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
oops.......for 45-70

DRSS

Posts: 1151 | Location: Pamplico, SC USA | Registered: 24 August 2005Reply With Quote