New
Find
Notify
Tools

9,3x57 Mauser Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Fritz Kraut
posted
Today I took my Husqvarna 146/ M98 in 9,3x57 (http://hem.bredband.net/b102212/m46.html) to the shooting range. Last week I fetched it at the gun monger and brought it home. �t has a nice semi-fancy walnut stock and the metal is nearly mint condition - but I bought it for a very reasonable price.

Only five shots at 80 yard were fired, but I was content with a 3-inch pattern on free hand. Even though there is no recoil pad, but just a hard butt plate, the recoil was tolerable.

What this gun needs is a recoil pad and a better trigger. I�m going to do that later in autumn and also make some loads. The RWS RN soft and RWS FMJ RN, both 286 grains, are the most interesting bullets for this rather slow and soft caliber. Premier bullets will not be needed.

I�ll be back with more experiences later, and look forward for your comments.

Fritz K.

[This message has been edited by Fritz Kraut (edited 08-21-2001).]

Posts: 846 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 19 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sounds nice recoil shouldn't be any trouble as your talking a pretty mild cartridge a 250 about 2250 fps. Less power then an 338\06 or a 35 whelen. But it well get the job done. Enjoy it a let us know how it keeps shooting.

Posts: 19366 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Oldsarge
posted Hide Post
Yeah, the 9.3x57 compares very favorably with the .358 Win., a mild-mannered, deadly efficient cartridge for large, non-dangerous game with in 250 yards. And if it isn't enough, you can always rechamber to 9.3x64 and shoot the world!

Posts: 2690 | Location: Lakewood, CA. USA | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fritz Kraut
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oldsarge:
Yeah, ...and if it isn't enough, you can always rechamber to 9.3x64 and shoot the world!

Maybe, but that would require another stock, which could take that considerably harder recoil. A 6 � lbs. rifle is IMHO too light for a so strong cartridge.

However, for my purposes, the 9,3x57 is enough. If I shoot from 50 yds, it is like shooting the 9,3x64 from 200 yds... Moose and boar will drop dead as soon they hear the bang! As I put it in another posting: Do as the old Spartans with their short swords: take another step forward!

Fritz K.

[This message has been edited by Fritz Kraut (edited 08-22-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Fritz Kraut (edited 08-23-2001).]

Posts: 846 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 19 April 2001Reply With Quote