THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIG BORE FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Big Bores    McMillan Supergrade: color choice?

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

McMillan Supergrade: color choice? Login/Join

<SafariOfTheMind>
posted
Hi you all,

I'm having my Winchester M70 375H&H done with a McMillan supergrade glass stock and Talley TNT rings. I need to choose a stock color. The green olive paint looks nice on their website as does the gray but I haven't seen either around here. What are your preferences in color for Africa and Alaska type hunting? I'm leaning to the olive green but sight unseen is a little scary to choose. RJ

one of us
posted Hide Post

Don't get one painted...what you need is one with the color molded into the material. Never wear off or flake. Take a look at the colors in their catalog and see what you like...magazine articles are also good. You can also order it with a wood grain which I believe they call "fibergrain". I like the swirled in colors...my favorite is dark green and black.

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Juneau>
posted
I have 3 McMillian stocked rifles. 2 supergrades and a G&H design. I like their plane brown with checkering.

posted Hide Post
RJ,

Bill is dead on; get the Fibergrain or gel-swirl.
If you're going to use that M-70 in the bush, the painted-on finish will show wear pretty quickly.

George

------------------
Shoot straight, shoot often, but by all means, use enough gun!

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
<SafariOfTheMind>
posted
Thanks guys. Is the molded in color a standard or is the paint the standard. The order taker on the phone didn't tell me. The stock takes 8-12 weeks to make so I can call them back and tell them to change it. Anyone have a picture of their rifle with this stock and care to post it? RJ

one of us
posted Hide Post
The prices are the same for the swirled in color....not sure about the "wood grain" effect. A thought from someone who has been there when ordering a McMillan stock...have patience...have a lot of patience...their delivery times tend to be longer than they estimate (although I've heard they are getting better) but their stocks are worth it.

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Go to page 3 of the African section of the forums and look at my pictures under "my buffalo" and "leopard" photos...half0way decent photo of my rifle...it is dark green with about 30& swirled-in black..looks like jade marble.

<SafariOfTheMind>
posted
DB Bill,
That's a nice looking stock all right! That's the look I'm after. When you called it in, what did you tell them to specify that color choice? RJ

one of us
posted Hide Post
I sent them a photo from the the cover of a Hart brochure and said "do it like that". The best way is to take a look at their brochure and pick out one you like (blend-wise) and thell them which one it is or send it to them....it doesn't matter if the colors are the same you can just specific which colors you want. You need to be aware that they all don't come out alike as they can't really control how the colors will blend (kind of like a tie-dyed shirt) but the proportions should be OK. Have you been to their website at www.mcmfamily.com I think it is in color but you should take a look.

<SafariOfTheMind>
posted
Thanks. I visited their site and I'm showing them your pic via email. Appreciate it. RJ

<Puddle>
posted
FWIW, they stopped doing the fibergrain finish sometime back.

<allen day>
posted
My old, much-used, beat-up .300 Winchester has a Mcmillan Model 70 Super Grade stock. I ordered it with McMillan's brown paint, and as it turned out, I prefer this color to anything else, even though my last few McMillan-stocked rifles have been done in black.

I have a custom .270 Winchester and a .338 Winchester on order now that will be painted in McMillan's brown color (sort of a chocolate) like my old .300, and I've come to the firm conclusion that I'm not going to go with any other paint color anymore. The brown is very pleasing to the eye, and fits in well in any hunting environment. Besides, I'm sick of black!

AD

<R. A. Berry>
posted
AD,
I will agree with you. I have a BRNO ZKK 602 stocked in McMillan brown. But isn't that color molded into the stock, rather than painted on? Are there two options for the brown? Mine is molded in as is the checkering, which is serviceable. McMillan is THE choice unless you are looking for a lighter and weaker stock.

------------------
Good huntin' and shootin',
RAB

[This message has been edited by R. A. Berry (edited 08-20-2001).]

<sure-shot>
posted
SOM, the finish you are after is called the gel-coat swirl or marble finish. I just completed a custom Remington for a friend, his stock color was ordered from McMillan as follows: 50% OD green, 25% tan and 25% black. The rifle looks absolutely magnificent! I've ordered stocks using the percentage method when using 3 colors, on 2 colors I just state the base color with the swirl color thru-out. Example: Base color-dark grey with lite grey swirl thru-out.

I always order McMillan stocks with weatherby-fill in the action area. On certain rifles I will specify weatherby-fill in the forearm as well. This type of fiberglass will give you a stiffer stock; less flex= accuracy.

The part on patience is correct. 4 to 6 mos most of the time sometimes shorter, sometimes longer. My opinion is either green or grey marble will look great just be sure to use contrasting swirl colors. The gel-coat finishes will scratch or chip but are more wear resistant than the painted stocks. I've had the best results repairing chipped stocks(or abused stocks) using Devcon 2 ton epoxy tinted with gel-coat tints then sanded flush and finished with 800grit. I go over all my stocks with 800grit anyways to eliminate glare and imperfections. Hope this helps, Someday I'm going to post some pictures when I have more time.(Famous last words!) sure-shot

<SafariOfTheMind>
posted
Got word from McMillan today and you were right it's the green swirl with contrasting color. They saw the picture from Bill's water buff and said no problem. Now it's just a matter of waiting. Thanks folks. RJ