THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BIG BORE FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Big Bores    .500 Barnes ML bullets in a .50 AE?

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.500 Barnes ML bullets in a .50 AE? Login/Join

<BMG>
posted
I noticed the other day that Barnes makes a .500" ML bullet for use in a .54cal ML with a sabot.

Is there any reason that their 275gr & 325gr bullets wouldn't work in a .50 AE? I have an AR upper chambered in this and am always on the 'prowl' for new choices (since Speer & Hawk make the only available bullets and Hawk bullets are big $$).

Do you think that the quality control will be a little 'sub-par' because they are meant for sabots? ex. .499" to .501"

one of us
posted Hide Post
What's the correct bullet diameter for .50 AE? Ever measured one? In your post you mentioned .499-.501" ( for the possibly sub-par bullets Barnes MIGHT be loading in the sabots), but the American fifty caliber diameter is .510", and I recall reading about a fifty cal. semi-auto pistol that used .495" bullets to avoid harassment from the govenrment. It's not that I'm trying to suggest that you might be in error, but that I'm honestly looking for information. My reloading manuals do not cover .50 AE.

Posts: 264 | Location: Grand Prairie, TX, USA | Registered: 17 September 2001Reply With Quote
<Multi Vis>
posted
The Speer handgun bullet for the 50AE is .500 dia as per their latest manual::MV

<BMG>
posted
The bullet diameter for the:

.50 AE = .500"
.50 BMG = .510"
.510/460 Wby Long (510 JAB, .510 Wells, .500 A-Square, ect.) = .510"
.50/110 = .512" (cast bullet)