New
Find
Notify
Tools

495 A-Square Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hi,

Since A-Square company is not available anymore, does anyone know any other gunsmith who has the experience to work on the 495 A-Square cartridge?

I am getting a Weatherby 378 to covert it to a 495 A-Square. I think this should be an easy coversion since both cartridges use the same case.

Any info will be appreciated.

Cheers!

Posts: 1002 | Location: Midwest USA | Registered: 01 September 2001Reply With Quote
<Mitch>
posted
Ming, McGowen rifle barrels chambers the 495 A2. But if it were me I would build the 500 A2 instead, the 500 gives the same velocitys with less pressure that the 495 A2 because it has greater case capacity. I am not sure the 378 stock will hold up. I rebarreled a 460 wby to 500 A2 and it has held up fine. The 460 uses a heavier stock made out of stronger wood than the 378 wby. If you decide to build a 500 you can also get a really first rate barrel from Pac-Nor barreling.

one of us
Picture of 470 Mbogo
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Ming:
Hi Ming,
Pac-Nor can supply the barrel and also has the 500 A-Square reamer. When I built my 500 A-Square I swapped them the reamer against part of the price of the barrel and chambering. Mitch has the right suggestion to go to the 500. 470 Mbogo

Posts: 1247 | Location: Sechelt B.C. | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys for the quick response. The reason I like the 495 is because it is not a bottle neck case and I do not want the extra power of the 500. I thought those straigh wall cases operate at a lower pressure level. According to my AS manual, the 500 is peaked at around 60k psi level while the 495 peaks at around 50k psi level. I am basically looking for a 50 caliber bolt action that is slightly more powerful than the 50 Alsakan.

I still at the research stage now so I am still open for other possibilities. I really like the 500 AHR but it is $3500(basic rifle)so I am not sure if I would want to spend that much. It seems like the Weatherby 30-378/495 A-Square option would be the least expensive route for a 50 caliber bolt action.

Posts: 1002 | Location: Midwest USA | Registered: 01 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
Ming:

From what I have been told, the .416 Rigby, CZ550 can be easily converted to a .500 A2. If it were me, I would start with the .416 Rigby CZ550 action, get a McMillan stock, and either a Pac-Nor, Cut-Rifle, or McGowan barrel. You should have a complete rifle for around $1,500.00 on a CRF action.

l-n-b

Posts: 3818 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
<Mitch>
posted
Ming, The 500 A2 is nearly a straight walled case like the 495. The shoulder is VERY small it is really a stretch to call the 500 A2 a bottle neck cartridge. As far as pressure goes if you handload you can load the cartridge to as little or as much power as you like.

[This message has been edited by Mitch (edited 11-13-2001).]

<Sooner>
posted
Ming, If you want a .495, build one. I have one and can tell you it is impressive. In fact the only difference I can tell between it and my 500 is the recoil isn't as bad. My 495 is in the A2 Hannibal rifle and I would think having it chambered in any other rifle would be much better. My 500 is in a cz 550, I used the 458 WM chambering and didn't have any trouble making the conversion. I like holding the cz better than that damn Hannibal but the 495 is easier on the shoulder. The point is build what you want. A 50 caliber is mighty impressive, but I suspect if you find yourself stalking something dangerous you'll be packing a 458 Lott. I did.

Sooner

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi guys,

All opinions and advice are highly appreciated.

Sooner,

Who built your 495 A-Square? My friend has a Weatherby 460 Lasermark and I like it a lot. In my opinion, the Weatherby stock has the best design to handle the recoil. With the those factory 500 grain loads, the 460 is much more gentle on my shoulder than those hot loads I make for my 45-70 1886. I can shoot the 460 continuously (8-9 rounds) on the bench without a problem. I can not handle more than 4 rounds of my home made 45-70 loads without taking a 10 minute brake. It is very hard to believe but that 460 Weatherby Lasermark is just so "comfortable" to shoot due its stock design.

That is the main reason I want to build a 50 caliber using the Weatherby base rifle. Actually, I have been looking at the new stainless 30-378 for the conversion and I would like to stay below the 60k psi level.

Thanks!
Ming

<Sooner>
posted
Ming, My 495 is a factory A-Square rifle. I bought it at a gun show, it has the biggest, ugliest stock ever put on a production rifle, it is not comfortable to hold or shoot, but I didn't pay much for it and I had to put a barrel on it. I would say that if a certain rifle with a stock type that fits you well enough to make a 460 "comfortable" I wouldn't hesitate to convert it to a .495. I have shot a 460 Weatherby and it kicked me much harder than any 500 I have ever shot. Who are you planning to get to do the work? E-mail me if you need a recommendation I know a guy that is top notch. He does most of his work for SCI and Ducks Unlimited. But he likes to build a big-bore now and then.
Sooner