New
Find
Notify
Tools

What is XMP 5744 powder? Login/Join

One of Us
posted
What is XMP 5744 powder?

Does it have an approximate in Alliant or IMR.

I am wondering what its equivalent will be in our Australian powders. Perhaps one of the Hodgdon powders since they sell the Australian powders under their brand name.

Thanks

Mike

Posts: 7206 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here's a description:

http://www.accuratepowder.com/data/rifle5744.html

I think it is often used as a black powder substitute loaded at about one half case volume. I don't know what your Australian substitute would be.

Bill

Posts: 1169 | Location: USA | Registered: 23 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Robgunbuilder
posted Hide Post
Accurate XMP5744 is a case volume and apparantly temp. insensitive powder ideal for low velocity smokeless loads and delivers a slower pressure peak than other powders i.e. more like black powder. You can use it in very large cases ( even .50BMG) without a filler. It works extremely well with cast bullets or jacketed bullets and can produce some very accurate results. I use it in everything with a bore over .35 for practice or plinking loads. It's also very forgiving.-Rob

Posts: 6314 | Location: Las Vegas,NV | Registered: 10 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob G
posted Hide Post
I use it in 45-70 and 45-120 loads with 400-550 grain cast bullets. Works great, never use or need a filler. Know a few guys that use to use a dacron patch over the powder. Ended up ringing the chamber.

Posts: 239 | Location: North Smithfield, RI USA | Registered: 09 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
I use it in reduced loads using cast lead bullets with gas checks in 375H&H and 416Rby, works fine without filler. Plan to use it in 458Lott reduced loads but haven't tried it yet.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I played with it for reduced loads in the .30-06 -- as suggested in the Speer manual. Their reduced starting load was very accurate using a 110-gr. Hornady SP. Seemed to be a lot of unburnt powder residue, but it was very accurate. Guess the proof's in the pudding.

John

Posts: 1246 | Location: Northern Virginia, USA | Registered: 02 June 2001Reply With Quote