Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

375/338 Win. Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'm very interested in the 375/338 Win. wildcat and am planning on building one on a Mauser 98 action. Does anyone have any experience with this wildcat and if so where can I find handloading data for it?

Posts: 530 | Location: Kulpmont, PA | Registered: 31 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have built a couple of them and they will easily duplicate the 375 H&H...

I'll go through my old loading data and see if I still have that stuff...I really gave them a wringing out and had a lot of load data. It will take me a day or two...

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41889 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here is a small site and forum that was dedicated to the 416 taylor.

http://www.geocities.com/bw_99835/

It also has a lot of loading data for the 375/338. I think they are calling it the 375 Taylor.

Mike

Posts: 7206 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Phil R>
posted
Craig P,
I have a .375/.338 on a Ruger #77 MKII stainless action and am very pleased with it's performance. It easily duplicates .375 H&H ballistics (my load data is on the web page mentioned in Mike375's post above)with a little less powder and it feels like less recoil. My rifle & scope combo weighs 8lbs.
I highly recommend!

------------------
Phil- Life Member NRA & SCI

<BigBores>
posted
That sounds like a good project, too. Damn, I have GOT to quit reading this forum, this is starting to get expensive!

<Bill Tompkins>
posted
All,

Not to stir up any trouble, but, we just had a client return from a Zimbabwe safari for 14 days. First of all he had a wonderful time even though it was his 5th safari to Africa. He told us stories as if it was his first time.

We built him a .375 Dakota which he thought would be nice to try on plains game. Fortunately he and the PH got onto a great buffalo which was not in the original plan. On site the spread measured 42" with bosses "as big as volley balls". It was a one shot kill through the bottom of the heart and through the lungs. It went about 75 yards through the tough stuff and was found on the ground next to a tree, dead. The PH suggested that our client use this rifle/cartridge for the remainder of the safari. I will get the rest of the list of the trophies this weekend, sorry. He used one cartridge for each trophy except one which took two. More to follow.

Bill

one of us
posted Hide Post
Craig,
I finally found it:

Apparantly two powders stand above the rest and that is IMR-4064 and IMR4895..so it's a pretty simple loading equation...

WW brass and Fed. 215's
67-4064-300 Nosler=2604
67-4895-270 Hornady=2600
68-4895-300 Nosler=2666 max.
69-4895-300 Nosler=2712 Too hot prim. exp.
68-4895-260 Nosler=2819 fast and accurate

RL-22 77grs. 300 Nosler= 2493
68.5 VArget 3oo Hornady, fed 210 = ??

My notes indicate I settled for 67 grs. of IMR-4895 for everything as it was the most accurate with all test loads and velocity was right up there with the H&H in my rifle....simple.

Start 10% below my listed loads and work up as they apply ONLY to my rifle...

this combo worked on the several I built for clientele and one for myself which I sold because it was a wildcat that duplicated a factory round...

------------------
Ray Atkinson

ray@atkinsonhunting.com
atkinsonhunting.com

Posts: 41889 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bill Thompkins....that wasn't a controversial statement. People have been taking a .375 to Africa for years and using it for everything with great success...the extra 100fps from the Dakota is nice but doesn't really change much. Unfortunately as sportsmen we (me included) have become fascinated with gadgets and specialized rifles...what rifle do I need for 100 lb pronghorns at 500 yards...how about a 150 lb white-tail at 250 yards....woops I want to hunt black bear from a tree over bait. The .375 isn't perfect but it sure is versatile and that's what makes it the Queen of Africa.

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fritz Kraut
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CraigP:
I'm very interested in the 375/338 Win. wildcat...

The precessor of the classic .375 H&H was a standard length belted magnum, the 400/375. It would be somewhat interesting to know if and how that old one differs from the .375/.338.

Your project sounds interesting.

Fritz K.

Posts: 846 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 19 April 2001Reply With Quote